Varinia to the Rescue!

I found myself with a hangover after the solstice. And I supposed waking up in a stranger's bed helped to hide it from the Luna.

But the next few days were spent packing up the solstice. Putting it all away back into the sheds whence it came. But I couldn't help but smile. It was the best solstice I had experienced since I was a young pup and everything was magical. Having both Yami and Modesta with me just felt like the positive environment and friendship group I needed. I almost regretted spending so much time with the Amanes. I had one year left and I shouldn't have wasted such a big part of it on them. Why had it taken them pushing me away to realise this?

As I helped a group wheel a barbecue into a shed I scanned around for Ryan. He was standing atop a ladder taking down a string of flowers. I gave the barbecue one last push and darted over to him as he came down the ladder.

He smiled at me, "You've been scarce recently."

"I guess," I muttered and helped him down the last few steps.

"You know Racheal's been looking for you."

"She's always looking for me, let's be honest."

"It's patrol this time," he said with a smile.

I sighed and blinked dramatically, "In this heat?"

"You'd better go find a good hiding place," he whispered and winked at me.

I turned around to see Racheal walking down the steps of the mansion. Waving goodbye to Ryan I ran further down the court. It was hot out here too so it really wasn't that different.

I tried to duck around the corner of a house when - "Varinia Elch I see you!"

Racheal charged down the street toward me. I froze in place. Sprung. I could hear her thunderous footsteps and I turned to face her.

"Luna," I gave her a warm smile.

She didn't buy it and squinted at me suspiciously, "Where have you been these past few days?"

"Around," I said simply.

"Around?"

"You know, just fully embracing the solstice."

"Well I hope you're relaxed now. It is important for you to take a break from everything after all," The Luna had a way of twisting everything into sounding like her own idea, "However now you need to go on a patrol. Your group is ready to go."

"Of course Luna Racheal," I replied, standing up straighter.

"Do be careful and make sure to drink lots of water before you leave, it's hot out there," She added as she kept walking.

I slumped as soon as her eyes were off me. There was nothing I could do though, her words carried weight. I just needed to get it over and done with.

Around the back of the mansion I found the group of wolves. They seemed very capable and they stiffened as I arrived. Similarly to how I had reacted to the Luna.

"Relax," I smiled, "I'm not here to boss you around, I just need to get the job done."

Their stances softened a little but there was still this rigidity to them. I supposed it was important that if we did run into trouble that they were prepared for it.

I looked out at the forest. There hadn't been any myth hunter attacks for a few weeks which was unusual. They were up to something and I hope I wasn't about to run into that something.

We shifted into large wolves. Despite the heat I felt powerful. My wolf form always did that for me.

Into the forest we ran.