13. APOLOGY

Levi's POV

.

.

.

By sun down we were inside the walls, listening to the civilians complaining.

"Aren't there fewer than there were this morning?" We'd defeated something big...but still we had too many casualties to celebrate the feat. I walked in front of everyone else but behind Erwin.

"Man...far fewer..." Violet's carriage was trailing around the back where Yeager was taking care of her. Of course the other clingy brat was with him. Everyone had lowered their head in shame.

"Another disaster." Someone pointed out the obvious. The hate in their tone was sickening.

"Just this morning, they left raising a ruckus, but they're already back?" Nothing false about that, but had they come with us, no doubt they'd piss their pants.

"What was the point?" I looked straight ahead, unable to meet the civilian's eyes but still had enough pride to not look down.

"Who knows? But judging from the gloomy expressions, they managed to waste more of our taxes if nothing else."

'What do they think of themselves? Who would protect them from titans? The military police who can't fucking stand because they're drunk? Do they think the Garrison are any better? Do they even fucking dare set a foot outside the walls? No. Then what do they think is a better use for their taxes? Assholes. Just because they work inside and pay taxes, it doesn't give them the right to treat us like shit. Paying taxes was the least they could do since they don't have the fucking gut to fight titans.'

The situation was angering me but I couldn't act upon the anger. How many people was I supposed to kill? If one disappears another mouth will spout shit.

"That's not right! We managed to beat an enemy! A very scary enemy! We beat a titan with intelligence!" One of the soldiers flexed Violet's achievements. He wasn't wrong but was it really an achievement worth the lives of so many soldiers?

"Captain Levi!" A man came up to me with a large smile. He had a small skip in his step, very different from all those jerks dissing us.

"My daughter is in your squad...I'm Petra's father." He introduced. Petra was trailing behind since she was hesitating on whether to stick to Violet or me. I didn't look in his eyes. Petra was still alive but I almost felt like I'd failed him...if Violet wasn't there to protect them, Petra would most likely be dead. I would've been responsible for her death. I didn't want to imagine how I would feel if that were to happen.

"Before she sees me, I wanted to talk to you. She sent me this letter..." He brought up a white envelope which contained the letter.

"She mentioned that you respected her abilities enough to let her join your squad. That she was gonna devote herself to you."

'Is he mistaking her respect for me to something else?'

The man had a very hesitating look. I still dared not look in his eyes.

"Well,I guess she's too starry eyed to consider how her father feels!" He fake laughed, feeling kind of awkward since I wasn't saying anything back. I just continued walking forward with Violet's and my horse.

"Well, as her father, I think it's too early for her to marry.She's still so young, with so much to exper-" He was cut off by a shout. It was Petra.

"Dad! I didn't mean devote myself to him in a marry him way! I meant I respect him and I'd wholeheartedly believe in what he had to say and do as he says!" She shouted. I exhaled in relief.