24 - The Narcissist and the Bitch

"No, Brooke, please don't leave!" Sean dropped to his knees, pulling me back by the hips. His cheek rested on my stomach.

I had confidence back then; to be able to walk away after a one-sided fight. I was so blinded by love I didn't know he victimized himself. Back when if I felt like my feelings weren't considered, I could walk away.

But a narcissist can't handle being ignored. So he changed strategy: hit my empathy.

While his alligator tears soaked my shirt, he said, "I'd kill myself if you leave."

Now, in the brink of it, a part of me screams to be rid of him. He's a scum of the earth; a waste of breath. And another part screams that he has a mother who will cry for him being gone.

I stand here, frozen. A devil and an angel on my shoulders, whispering decisions.

"Brooke, are you proud of what you've done? You're making me do this."

Finally, my throat opens up. I take a breath and say, "Well, I'm not the one holding the gun."

He smiles, "No, but you're the reason for this."

"You're a narcissist, Sean," I clear my throat, steadying my breath to remain confident. I know him. "You think that the world is blessed to have you. But because your victim finally let go of you and is striving without you, you can't handle it. You found another target, but even she managed to get away from your grip."

Sean lowers the gun, his face full of realization.

"You think I'm a narcissist?" He sniffles. From a distance, I wouldn't be able to tell, but because of the street lamp above him, the lights reflect the tears forming in his eyes. A different look than I've seen him. His puppy eyes used to manipulate me; but as they hang low, a slouch to his normally square form—he looks pathetic. Pathetically, genuinely sad.

"Brooke," he takes a breath, "all I've done is love you. That's all I ever did. I tried so hard to make you happy. I just wish it was with me."

Me, me, me. Pity me. Look at me.

I roll my eyes.

With a wipe to his nose, Sean turns around and walks away.

My heart, still beating up my throat, feels like it will burst. I continue watching him leave, just to make sure. But with the sudden silence, I hear Becca behind me.

"Yes, he's armed. He's walking somewhere—I don't know..."

Before she could start another sentence, red and blue lights flicker and bounce off the concrete walls. A police car parks by the side of the street, two officers step out. Becca, in heave of excitement, runs towards them then points to Sean.

From the sight of the lights, Sean runs away; bringing the police to run after him. As their more athletic form catches up to him, they topple him to the ground and handcuff him.

I never thought of getting the law involved, but Becca has no sentimental bone in her. Becca's a bitch, and this time, it bodes well for us.

* * *

Charges were pressed by Rebecca for sexual assault. 

I only gave a restraining order.

"You know he's not gonna make this any easier. He's gonna take this to trial," I told Becca as she sat with Anna editing her film.

"Just as well 'cause he's gonna go down," her beaming smile used to annoy me, but that's the only look that fits the situation. 

As I watch her on the stand, she gives the performance of her life. Tears flowing down her smooth cheek, pulling her blonde hair away from her face as they stuck on. It's so moving that people in the spectator area begins to cry. Gasps echo around the room as she stands to show a deep blue mark on her rib cage.

"Do you do this to someone you love?" She cries.

When the jury finished deliberating, I can feel the decision flying around in the air as they enter the room. 

"Guilty."

Through the cheering commotion, I search for Sean's face. A shock as he grinds his jaws together and stare at the ground as the bailiff cuffs him. He leaves the room with his head hanging low. 

I sit here with a wide smile on my face, stretching from ear-to-ear. 

Sean was a big part of my life. Even though we weren't friends since childhood; he wasn't my first love; but he was the one who tried to lock me in a cage and claim to be his one and only. 

Now he's the one in the cage. I only wish he understands what he's done.