Anniversary

There really is no order to these things at this point. They're more like highlights than an actual story. Just scenes that I thought would be cool, I suppose. 

___

"There you are," Glancing over her shoulder, Jamie quickly looks back down at her feet and runs a hand over her face. "What're you doing down here?" Jethro asks but Jamie still doesn't turn to face him.

"Uh, nothing," She shrugs but the blonde hears her quite sniff and freezes. "Was just about to leave, actually." Keeping her head down, Jamie turns to walk out of the tunnel but stops when Jethro slowly blocks her path.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," Jamie forces a laugh and shakes her head but she can't bring herself to look into his eyes. She's afraid that her own are red and glassy.

"Then why are you crying?" Jethro questions and Jamie scoffs.

"I'm not," She says sternly. "I was just...thinking."

"Some serious thinking," Jethro chuckles before turning serious and reaching out to grab her wrist. Jamie releases a shaky breath and lifts her free hand to pinch the bridge of her nose. "What were you thinking about?"

"Um, It's..." Clearing her throat, Jamie takes a deep breath and releases it slowly. "It's the anniversary of my dad's passing."

"Jamie-"

"I'm okay," She cuts him off with a nod and looks up at him. "Yeah, I mean, it's been eleven years. I don't even remember him that well, you know?" But the more she speaks, the blurrier her vision becomes as liquid fills her eyes. "But mum has pictures up all over the house and I just see them and he's smiling, he looks so happy and I-" When her voice becomes stuck in her throat, Jamie blinks her eyes and inhales shakily.

Reaching up, Jethro gently wipes the tears from Jamie's cheeks with his thumbs before wrapping her in a hug that she quickly returns. "Yeah, you're okay," He whispers into her hair as she grips the back of his shirt. "It's okay." For minutes, they stay there as Jamie silently cries into her friend's shoulder.

Rubbing her back, Jethro lets Jamie pull away to wipe her face and squeezes her shoulder. Without a word, they both sit on the ground with their backs to the wall.

"What do you remember about him?" Jethro dares to ask a few moments later.

"He...he could talk to anyone," Jamie says thoughtfully. "Didn't matter who they were, he could just go up to them and start a conversation. I envied that about him."

"I don't know, you're pretty friendly," Jethro smiles while bumping her shoulder with his own. "Sometimes." Chuckling, Jamie shakes her head and hugs her knees closer to her chest.

"And he would always read me a bedtime story, no matter what. Every night."

"He sounds like a great dad."

"Yeah, he was. The best," Jamie nods in agreement. Inhaling heavily, Jamie fills her lungs before slowly releasing the breath. "Oh, man, how red are my eyes now?"

"Let me see," Bending forward, Jethro looks at Jamie's face and rubs his thumb over one of her cheeks. "Not so bad, barely noticeable."

"You sure?"

"Yeah," Jumping to his feet, Jethro offers Jamie a hand and pulls her up.

"I didn't mean to keep you so late," Jamie apologizes after glancing at her watch.

"You kidding me?" Jethro huffs and wraps his arm around her. "I'm honored to be your shoulder to cry on."

"Please don't tell anyone else about that," Jamie cringes but doesn't pull away.

"I am a vault of secrets," Jethro assures her and rubs her arm before placing a kiss on the top of her head. "Don't worry about a thing."

Inside the lifeguard tower, the shutters are closed and almost everyone has left for the day. Jamie isn't surprised to see Hoppo but she is surprised when she sees Jesse up there as well, quietly speaking to the other man.

"Get lost?" The young man teases and Jamie rolls her eyes.

"Think I took a wrong turn," Jamie mumbles with a glance back over her shoulder. She catches Hoppo's eye and nods before moving to grab her things. He pats her shoulder when she passes him by and Jesse's smile drops as he looks at Jethro.

"Was she crying?"

"She's fine," Jethro says in response to Jesse's question. He knows Jesse cares for Jamie just as much as the rest of them despite how much grief he gives her. It's all just teasing in the end. Jethro knows he would never make fun of her or look down on her for something like crying but he made a promise. Jamie might not need to feel embarrassed but Jethro knows she is. He's glad they aren't filming at the moment, that's the last thing she needs.

"Hey, J, want to go grab dinner with the boys?" Jesse asks the girl when she returns.

"Uh, sure," Jamie nods and Jesse jumps up with a smile and wraps an arm around her shoulders before leading her outside.