010

RAINY DAYS WERE WHERE BENNY THRIVED THE MOST

RAINY DAYS WERE WHERE BENNY THRIVED THE MOST. She hated winter/fall days with blue skies and felt it should be illegal not to have a cloud in sight when it was freezing. She also loved cool summer/spring days that were a perfect seventy degrees with the contrast of sun and clouds. Today was the day of Will Byer's funeral, and some, how mother nature knew that it was a day that called for rain.

The soft material of her raven dress was more uncomfortable than anything, and she hated that Will was having a funeral when he was still out there. The whole situation gave Benny the chills, and she knew he had to be alive.

"Benny."

She sprung from her focus in the mirror to Beverly struggling to button the light cardigan over her dress. Her hands would shake vigorously when she was nervous, so preparing to attend her best friend's funeral wasn't the best morning.

The buttons were abnormally small but not uncommon on young girls' clothing. From experience, Beverly would rather wear a sloppy t-shirt or sweater with jeans. Benny could tell her sister wasn't exactly comfortable in her attire. This is probably the only time she's seen the girl in tights since she started picking out her clothes.

As her insightful sister, she could not help but notice Beverly's nonchalant attitude. She raised her eyebrow unnoticeable to her sister, who was looking around the room, avoiding eye contact with her.

"You can talk to me, you know," Benny said as she finished with the buttons. She gave her sister a tight smile, knowing she probably hadn't been the best older sibling the past couple of days.

Beverly sniffed, "Yeah, we both need to be better at that."

Beverly nodded, finally meetings Bennys eyes. She wrapped her arms around her sister's neck, pressing her chin against Bennys shoulder blade. Before the silence could be broken, their mother knocked on the bedroom door, signaling for the two girls to prepare. The air seemed still throughout the house, and words were left unspoken between the family of three.

Though the sun showed through the car window, a dark cloud loomed in the distance, and Benny couldn't help but hope it was rumbling in the direction of their quaint town.

"Fear not, for I am with you."

Funny how when you die, the town that didn't seem to give a shit or even pay attention gathers around to check one community event off of their list. The mayor even showed up to commemorate the young Byers boy.

"Be not dismayed, for I am your God."

Looking at the masked people seem to put on when they needed Benny wanted to be sympathetic. She wasn't deaf and knew they treated Joyce Byers like she was insane. She says her family in the Byers, a father that never really cared and a single mom trying her best to raise her children. Rumors do really spread like wildfire.

"I will strengthen you. Yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand."

Benny hoped that if there was a God, they kept will safe. Deep down, she knew the dreams she had been having were only a tiny taste of the despair Will had been going through.