Walk to Salvation: Part 7 of 8

Now that Erik could see the end of the journey, his stomach didn't bother him for food anymore. The following morning they would walk up the hill, greet the folks who lived there and kindly ask them for help. They would help fix his truck so that he could be on his way, or at least they would help tow it to a place that could. Because that's what he had endured the trip here for.

A fire was burning between them once more. This was the last time the two would share a space in the wild, though it was in a much different setting than in previous times. The area was filled with trees, canopies framing the clouds above them neatly. Because life was much denser around them, Berk had showed Erik where the hammocks folded up against the surrounding trees and where he could sleep, much more comfortable off the ground.

Erik helped Berk start a fire, and they put up their hammocks to sleep for the night. Before settling in, they sat and absorbed the heat of the charming flames. This was the best fire they'd had yet, thanks to the quality of the catered wood. The seating wasn't too bad either. Erik was happy that his backside was lifted off the ground and that it wouldn't be dirty when he stood up. He was shocked that he still cared about his hygiene at this point, but it was a habit he couldn't be concerned about.

"Now that you have nowhere to go," Erik started as he pulled his jacket tighter against the breeze, "who lives up there?"

Berk turned his head on the question. He tried to ignore the stare drilling into his face, but Erik was right; where could he go?

"Mother." Berk looked deeper into the flames as if searching for something.

"We're going to your parents? Why didn't you just say that?"

Berk shook his head, which was enough of an answer for Erik.

"You have your own place?"

Again, Berk shook his head.

"I'm sorry. I know how a family can be. I've been through some shit like that as well."

They let the crackling of burning wood take over the conversation. Erik wished they could sit and tell stories around the fire, but neither would know what the other was saying.

"I have to take a piss," Erik interrupted and stood up from his seat and walked in behind the nearest tree. He stared into the darkness as he let loose and took a deep breath of fresh air. The clouds had made all the insects lose their minds in anticipation of a few raindrops.

When he turned around and skimmed over the ground, he spotted something as the fire's light flickered over the tree before him. At first glance, it looked like runes carved into the bark. He stepped closer and bent down a bit to get a better look.

Erik glanced up along the tree's trunk as if following someone's gaze

Erik glanced up along the tree's trunk as if following someone's gaze. There was nothing special to talk about, despite it being patched with different shades of brown and unique looking. Confused, he walked along back to his place beside the fire.

He looked out to his left, and he could see the flickering light of the house they had been chasing through the leaves. He thought about Berk's mother and possibly more relatives that lived so secluded from anywhere else. What was here to do? It explained a lot about the strange man sitting across the fire.

The fire pulled his eyes into an embrace. The whirling flames stirred his mind, and he came to an amusing theory.

"Hey Berk," he didn't look up as he said it. "Why would someone not want to go to your house?"

When the silence became too long for Erik to bear, he looked up at the hunter. His stare was bearable. But when Berk's eyes closed and his eyebrows gave in to a deep furrow, Erik's shoulder's sagged.

"What will happen tomorrow?" Erik asked reluctantly.

"Take you. Keep you." Berk mumbled.

"For what?"

"Feast."

Realisation flooded Erik's body almost instantly. His lungs sucked in a big deep breath. Before releasing it, he swerved around and jumped in between the trees. He was determined to not become a meal, and he would prove it again. His ankle almost gave in several times, but pain and fatigue were nothing new. He weaved through the trees, one throbbing foot after another, away from the awaiting nightmare.

A whiz and a hit came from his right. Arrows. He took a hard left and launched forward.

Erik fell down into the grass behind a small bush. He suppressed his rushing breath. The singing insects helped maintain his cover, but he wasn't risking anything. Erik soon learned that the constant buzz came with its downsides as well. He couldn't hear any footsteps between the light and himself.

He gathered his weight on his elbows and lifted his head to see through the bush. The silhouette of a hunter with his bow and arrow stood by the fire, scanning the area.

Erik was cautious about his security, but he had low hopes of realistically escaping being hunted by Berk. He'd been through some rough hours the last few days, but it only held a flame to what Berk had faced throughout his life.

"Why?" he called out.

Berk stepped out in his direction and skimmed through the trees.

"Mother," Berk replied to the night.

"All this way?"

"Many people. Hungry." He took two steps forward before crouching down and continuing in Erik's direction.

Behind the bush, Erik got to his heels, stretching the injured ligaments. He picked up a rock and threw it to his right. As planned, the thump of the rock drew Berk's attention just long enough for Erik to push off to his left and make a run for it.

"Erik!" The roar that came from behind him glued itself to his back. He came to a standstill and turned to face his predator.

The arrow leaving the bow caught Erik's eyes first, and the pain in his shoulder only started when he met Berk's aiming eye.