Chapter 1: The Rhythm Duo

ASTRA

I AM WOUNDED. That's what my mind says as I look at my fingers. Hindi naman masakit pero iba yung sinasabi ng isip ko.

Double meaning...

I am currently working at Zexque Magazine and I'm the head of the Editor. That's why I am doing some layout and thinking about the theme for the next issue.

Habang tinatanaw ko ang buong opisina ko. Puro papel, designs, arts material as well my iPad and laptop na nasa table ko. The other side was the coffee machine wherein my life depends on it.

Oh well coffee lover. I might die if I didn't have caffeine in me.

Then on my left is the city lights that are starting to flash.

Mag aalas otso na pala pero heto ako nasa opisina pa rin. Minsan nga ayoko ng umuwi. Tutal wala naman akong dadatnan na.

I've been independent and alone since nag highschool ako. My parents separate when they found another lover and focus their attention on them. Kumbaga ako... Palamuti? Nabuo sa kamalian? pero sa akin....

Isa akong pagkakamali sa pagmamahal.

Kasi kung bunga ako ng sinasabi nilang pagmamahal... Bakit ganto sitwasyon ko. Up until now I'm on the verge of paying all the debt na naiwan nila at the same time yung ginamit ko for studying...

I have to. Kahit papaano naging mabuting magulang sila. Or let's say... Parents knows best.

"Astra?" Mara called as I looked at my schedule for tomorrow. Gusto ko na rin umuwi.

"Yes?" sagot ko at pumasok na si Mara na may dalang pagkain. I guess nandito pa rin siya sa office.

"Overnight?" dagdag ko.

"Yep. So, let's have dinner bebegurl." sabi nito at natawa ako sa call name na tawag nito.

"Kahapon babe, ngayon bebe gurl? Kaya ka napagkamalang tibo." sabi ko.

"Okay lang may nagseselos naman." Saad nito at pumwesto kami sa gitna kung saan nandoon ang maliit na lamesa na mapupuno na rin ng papel.

"Ang kalat mo." sabi nito at inusod ang mga gamit ko.

"Tsk."

Umorder ito ng Jollibee. Our usual favorite since.

Mara and I had this friendship when I start on college. She was my seatmate and technically we became close with some unreasonable reason. She keeps on nagging me to the point na kailangan ako tawagan ni Tita, her mom, to look for her kasi alam niya kung gaano kakulit ito.

To babysit her. And I accepted the offer because I needed it. Kailangan ko para mabayaran lahat ng gastos ko and to the least... to survive.

"Yung boss mo buong araw na nakatitig. Sarap dukutan ng mata." I bluntly said as I take a spoonful of sundae.

"Oo pansin ko... actually ng lahat. Makatitig akala mo walang nagawang kasalanan." Mara said and we just laugh at it.

"True, he thought that I still loved him, but he was so wrong. Not interested."

"Ah talaga?" Mara said and just look at me intently. "Parang hindi naman. Mukha ng ang mahal na mahal mo pa rin yung gagong yun."

"How? It's been two years since that thing happened and I forgot him but some part... will stay loyal to him." I honestly said and started to eat.

"Kumain ka na nga muna at pag yan ang topic nakakawalang gana talaga." Mara said and stood up. "I'll just grab some coffee and Astra? Please be honest. Kahit sa sarili mo na lang okay?" She said and left me.

I just smiled at the thought of not being honest to myself. That's my coping mechanism. To lie, to hide and to escape. I've been doing it since that day.

I just savored the food and right the moment the coffee was here. Mara and her specialty. Coffee and pastries. She also bakes.

"Why not open a coffee shop and invest in that. Kesa dito ka nag iinvest."

"Woman, I am doing it for you." Mara said and looked at me with a smirk.

"Not again Mara, I am not a kid anymore and I am done with him. Like... for real." I said and sipped.

Her coffee is extraordinary. No wonder that I started being a coffee lover on that day Mara asked me to taste it.

"Mara opened a shop. Promise I will be your first customer."

"Stop it Astra. Hindi madali, maraming dapat icoconsider. And I do like to look out for you. I want to see you happy first before I start doing it. I know everything about women." she said and finished eating.

I just stay quiet as she finishes her food, and she is right. I do need someone.

Mara has changed. When she sees me miserable on that day. She became overprotective and she matured instantly. Maybe she saw me breaking down and wanted to end my life. And I will always be thankful to her. For making me realize everything.

She stays when the world turns its world on me. She gives me ideas and hope. This woman is incredible, and I will be forever grateful to her.

We talked about the proposals that needed to pass. She checks my works and looks for some errors and it seems we have this thing .... bond.

Because we are working with rhythm and that's why our seniors call us the "Rhythm Duo."

We finish the task in a given time and we have this criticism on us. We accept and we move on. That's what makes us differ from our coworkers and kaya din kinaiinggitan nila kami. Lalo na si Mara.

Oh well. It's us against the world.

---

Thank you and Happy reading!

Please vote, comment and share! I appreciated it! See you in the next chapter!

Love,

M