twenty seven | demure

demure
(adj.) reserved, modest, and shy
***

"I already know about his lack of a heart...he told me some time ago." I breathe, looking at Mor as he nods in understanding. "It just...frustrates me, you know? I'm beginning to realize that he has never said he loved me. Used the three words. He's alluded to it, but anyone can allude to anything. He's also the devil for crying out loud."

I saw Mor look at a loss. Like he had something to say and I raise my eyebrow.

"What do you need to say?" I just question him blankly, seeing him look away awkwardly. "Spit it out."

"I don't know if he ever told you, but there is a way for him to get his heart back." Mor confesses to me nervously.

I believe he did tell me once...but I'm blanking right now.

"It wouldn't be wise for him to have his heart in his body anyway. Because if it's injured while it's in his body, it can do more damage than good. Yes...it gives him more life, per say; but he's...dead. Why does it matter really?" Mor just straight up asks me.

I don't know...

I have just been hit with news every second of the way. There's always something...and I can't seem to catch a break with him either. He's the devil, I know that already. Except I know he's more than that...

I think that's why I'm so disappointed.

"Erebus is whole bundle of something else. All of the demons you have encountered, along with me, are trying our bests. Now you'll have twins...you can't expect too much from them either-."

"That's different. They'll be half human and at least born on this earth. The early exposure to Hell won't even be a thing. I won't even tell them Hell exists, been there - some that."

"Good luck with that. Erebus is the devil. He'll want his kids to know of such a thing, and they're cambions. They couldn't live in this world normally anyway, because when demon babies are born they have the characteristics that prove it. They're also much more advanced than normal babies. You couldn't raise them properly on this Earth without stares or weirdos bugging." Mor states confidently.

I...didn't care.

Just the thought of them being in Hell for not doing anything and learning things through...people who were condemned to Hell? I think I'll pass on that one.

Yes, some of the demons are kind. The ones I have met are amazing, but they're all allotted something that is sinful. So despite how kind they treat me, they have something that they can accidentally pass onto my kids.

Do I want that at all?

"Honestly...why don't you ask your babies?"

I frown, Mor nodding at my stomach and I snort.

"Ask them? They're not even out of me yet-."

"No, silly. They're half demon, and they have already communicated with Erebus. Maybe...if you ask them politely, they might let you speak to them. Or they'll take your consciousness and share it with theirs." Mor informs me, and I glare at him. "Do it at your own risk though! Your babies are kinda scary already."

I rest my hands on my stomach, and I wondered if I really wanted to do that. Speak to my babies before they're even out. How would that even work?

Mor did say they'd take my consciousness...what if they didn't put it back?

"Can I speak to you two?" I just ask them quickly.

I saw Mor wait with anticipation as he bit his nails. I smack his hand down to stop him from that nasty habit. Right when I do though I find my body falling back against the sofa as if I passed out.