The Jerk and The Jock

The cooks have their spatula, the writers have their pens, the lawyers had their wits, the nerds have their books and the doctors have their... heart checking devices. But I have my ball and when the ball touches my hand, it's like everything gets personal and I feel whole again, it was exhilarating and I was at my best. This is my turf and no god or human could take that away from me. Except for the referee when the game ended. We hate the referee.

The whistle tore into the very depths of my soul tearing me from this existence I've come to know as paradise. It's a wrap. And we won again. It wasn't like we were that good it was just the other team was that bad and the Slytherins go easy on no one. Our seniors picked their name a thousand years ago when Harry Potter came out. And honestly, I kinda like it.

We were packing up our stuff for the bus. Losing on your turf was rough and I kind of felt bad for the losers.

'Harrison?' A gruff voice asked said hesitantly. I knew who that voice belong to and almost ignored it but I didn't.

I turned and plastered a smile at the Captain of Redwoods. 'It is twenty-twenty-two Isaac, call me Mikhael'

He smiled a cute dimple manifesting on his left cheek. It was adorable and I had put it there.

'I wouldn't normally do this I swear but' He took a deep breath, shoved a piece of paper towards me, and ran.

The paper was a little damp and said call me if you want and Mike laughed a short sweet laugh. He swore to the heavens that he was going to call but-

I didn't call.

Two weeks and the paper still sat at my nightstand staring at me almost accusingly. I picked up my phone and called the number before I could think of a reason not to.

I began to regret it at the first ring. Said what the hell at the second ring and almost ended the call at the third when.

'Hello,' a timid voice voiced. The third time is the charm after all.

'It's Mike' I answered back. This guy was 5'9 and the captain of an averagely good basketball team. Why was he so damned cute?

'And so?' He quipped coldly. I probably should have called earlier.

'I have been busy, I swear I didn't forget I was just not in the right mind to call' I explained.

'And what gives you the idea that I wanted you to call?' He shot back 'You know what? Don't answer that but god sake you could've sent a text, or does your mental state not allow for text messages too?'

'You asked me to call, angel. And I didn't, I'm sorry

'Where are you?' He asked silently.

'Home'

'Disneyland?'

'Disneyland'

My life was going great.

=

Monday came around rather quickly but even school couldn't dull the excitement bubbling inside my soul.

I want on a date with Isaac. The Issac!

Then the jabs came.

'What a fag of a captain'. A redhead said to her friend as she glared at me. 'I wonder how his gay let him on the team' What did that one even mean!

Gay jabs were as old as they were ineffective. If you want to deal some damage, choose a slur with more than three letters in length. That'd sting.  I cared about actions, if a homophobic moron thinks he can throw a punch. Let them bring it cause I might just break something.

And then they did. After basketball practice to my left cheek. Hard.

Needless to say, I broke something.

'Detention for a month' Coach screeched and I smirked in victory.

'Both of you' 

##

The Nerd:

I love maths and reading and order and all the other things we teenagers aren't supposed to love or even think of doing.

'Why are you such a nerd, Jamie?'  is a question that stalked me for most of my teenage years. Crying in the janitor's closet, Losing my friends, the very look on my father's face. I knew I was a liability, an anomaly. The wrong solution to an equation, I made my peace with that.

I was never growing enough muscles to hold a football never going to have the stamina to hit one.  The only thing I had going for me was the I.Q and I have learned the brutal process of accepting that.

Now, order was my lady. I did everything the way it was supposed to be done and when it was supposed to be done. So what if I have never not been on the honor roll? I have a future and it's looking very great. No friends. No acquaintances. No bullies.

No bullies whatsoever. Ever since I got the high school sweetheart 'Bryan Williams' suspended. My fellow school folk has resorted to keeping me at arm's length which I appreciated. 

I am the resident 'fink' of Oakland High and I reveled in it.

The only problems were the girls who still lay their loyalties with the airhead. Throw a book at me and goddamn it if I don't hurl it back at you. Gender-Equality right?

Mrs. Hatch didn't think so.

'Detention'

Updates once every week. Thanks for reading.

Adana Okoli