Prologue

"I thank Your Highness, Queen Amidala of the Naboo, publicly and most sincerely." Supreme Chancellor Palpatine announced from his podium set outside of the Theed palace.

"Without your sacrifice and bravery, this system would have fallen to those who meant us harm. You led your people through trials and overcame time and time again."

Padmé stood silently and solemly beside him. The mask of Amidala upon her face; she did not smile. She wore the same heavily embroidered and beaded red ceremonial robes that she was coronated in while she faced the planet one final time as its queen. She had many emotions.

Pride.

Her people would always be her people. But as queen they were her people. It was her decisions that could help them, or hurt them if she chose wrong. Thankfully, with wise counsel, she did not lead them towards any harm. Her people had prospered. Even following the Trade Federation's invasion that had occurred three years ago, her people had faith in their queen. She led them back to a time of peace and growth. She was responsible for the populations well-being and her decisions during the invasion had allowed them to rebuild what their oppressors had tried, unsuccessfully, to destroy.

Joy.

The life of a monarch was a tiring one. Long meetings, speeches, public appearances, negotiations, the list could go on. Her life had revolved around her title for the last four years now. Now, she could begin to rediscover her own interests again. She could wear her own face around others again. She would still have responsibilities and duties with her next position, but she could at least smile when it was appropriate. Her excitement to express emotions again around more than a small trusted circle was growing with each second she stood with a serene but stern expression underneath the white makeup.

Sadness.

The life of Queen Amidala had been the only life Padmé had known since she was thirteen years old. To start a new life as Senator Amidala at age seventeen was daunting. Many queens slipped into the shadows after their terms were over. Fading away from the public eye to rediscover themselves. Many would eventually make public appearances at important events later in their lives, but it was never expected of them. As a senator, Padmé would not have this luxurious time to herself. She would instead create a new mask to wear. A new persona. Amidala was part of the persona, but Padmé needed to add the senatorial part to complete the figure she was to become. It was a challenge she would be thrust towards very, very soon.

"It is my honor as Supreme Chancellor of the Galactic Republic, and a man from this beautiful planet, to announce Her Royal Highness Queen Amidala of the Naboo relieved of her duties as monarch. Long may she continue to inspire us wherever the galaxy takes her next."

Padmé barely registered the thunderous applause and cheers from the vast crowd watching her ceremony. Yané and Eirtaé came forward, wearing matching black, hooded gowns, and slowly lifted the ornate headdress off of her head. Her hair had been styled to allow this part of the ceremony to easily happen. The crown lifted without issue and Padmé felt a physical and metaphorical weight lift off of her. As the girls backed away, Sabé came forward. She was always her closest handmaiden. She had dutifully acted as her decoy during strenuous situations. The loyalty and friendship she had shown Padmé would never be forgotten. Because of this, she was the only person Padmé wanted to perform this part of the ceremony.
Gently, Sabé wiped a warm clothe over the queen's face, slowly removing the white makeup. As she finished, Padmé opened her eyes. Queen Amidala was gone. The crowd silenced. Padmé, maintaining the demeanor of the role still, stepped up to the podium that Palpatine had been occupying.

"My fellow Nubiens," Padmé spoke. Not with the accented voice of Amidala. This was her first, and only, address to the public as truly herself. The next time she would be doing this would be as a senator.

"Thank you for allowing me the tremendous honor of serving you and our wonderful system. I could not be more blessed to have carried your support with me through my reign. I will watch our next monarch with great hope that they will continue to carry the legacy we've created as a peaceful and prosperous planet."

With that, Padmé bowed to her people. It was custom that the public remain silent after the monarch's final address, but a quiet applause broke out. It spread throughout the crowd, never growing too loud. Until finally, it was near silent again. Padmé stood fully, smiled to her people, and turned with her handmaidens and entered the palace, the place she would no longer call home.