Chapter 17 - Brothers -

I stared blankly at the ground. My back's against the wall, sitting down the corner. Hours have passed. The walls that were previously tinged orange by the setting sun has gotten dark.

It was cold. I can still smell the usual strange odour of burning metal with slight hints of burning flesh.

He's still up there. Still hung up by the chains, shackled to the torture device. He had burns on some parts of his body, and his eyes are shut.

I was actually the one who closed them. I had to lower him a bit so I can reach his face and run my palm over his eyes to close them before hoisting him back up again.

I glanced at him one more time to see that nothing has changed after some hours. He did not budge a bit. Not a single twitch.

I felt mortified about myself... I felt bad for what I did.

At some point, a part of me felt devastated. The pain I inflicted him is somehow getting back at me.

I closed my eyes...

I was on my way back home from a mission.

I slid my hands in the pockets of my hoodie as I walk by a narrow, secluded alley around the city.

Woof woof!

The sound came somewhere around the corner.

Woof woof!

It sounded like it was by the trashbins...

Woof woof!

In my surprise a little critter was wagging its short, stubby tail in front of me. I was delighted to see its big sparkly eyes flutter back at me. I knelt down to pat its head.

It looked so happy and cute that I picked it up and it gave me back a lick on my pale, fleshy cheeks. "Hahahahaha!" I giggled in joy.

"Brownie?!"

I paused for a while upon hearing a voice. The little critter, startled, twitched an ear, jumped down from my arms and ran towards the voice I just overheard. It finally disappeared after it turned left at the end of the alley.

"Aww bummer..." I pouted, and slid my hands back to my pockets...

As I eventually left the alley, I saw it again!

But this time with another child my age.

He was happily running around, playing with the little critter. He would throw a stick and then the little critter sprints away towards it to catch it before running back to the kid with the stick on its mouth, wagging its tail at him.

"Good boy!" The kid scooped it up in his arms, while it gave him a lick on the cheeks too like it did on me... "Hahahahaha!" The kid giggled as well. They looked so happy...

"Hm?" The kid stopped laughing the moment he noticed I was looking at them. I quickly shifted my eyes away from them, trying to avoid interaction.