Chapter 6

"You got two problems here. You got the bandits, and you got the mech." Mando crosses his arms, staring down a smaller group of villagers. Cara looks less than pleased from where she stands on his left. I stay quiet on his right, stealing a glance at the group of children lingering nearby. "We'll handle the walker, but you have to protect us when they come out of the woods. I don't have to tell you how dangerous they are."

His words make the children shiver and I send them a wink and a grin, subtly waving a hand toward him as if to say they shouldn't pay him any mind. I know everything he says is right, but I can't stop myself from trying to comfort the children. They don't need to be burdened with any of this.

Mando twists slightly to face Cara and holds out a hand to her. "Cara Dune here was a veteran. She was a drop soldier for the Rebellion, and she's going to lay out a plan for you. So listen carefully."

Cara steps forward, immediately delving into the plan we'd talked about in her hut. Since I already know it, I nudge Mando's arm until he looks at me. I jerk my head toward the kids nearby to tell him I'm going to check on them. He nods, turning his attention back to Cara as I leave them.

I turn the corner around a particularly tall cluster of grass to find Winta and a few other children crouched on the ground watching Grogu intently. He's currently working on eating a frog nearly his own size, and I smile with crossed arms when he tilts his head up to look at me.

"What have you gotten yourself into?" I chuckle, gesturing for him to spit out the poor creature. Its legs squirm as they hang out of his mouth and the children squeal in disgust and delight. Grogu's tiny shoulders slump as he drops the frog, watching longingly as it hops away to freedom.

"He's so cool," Winta says, laughing happily as Grogu waddles closer to her. I nod, sighing as I sink to the ground. I pull my legs in, crossing them as I face the kids around me. I rest my palms on my knees as Winta watches me. "Can he do any tricks?"

I laugh a little at her question. She makes it sound like Grogu is a pet more than a child. Then again, I suppose I'm wondering the same thing she is. With his connection to the force, it's entirely possible he can do some 'tricks.'

"I'm not sure," I say, deciding to be honest. The kids slump a little, looking disappointed in the answer. If I don't turn things around soon, I know their minds will find their way back to the impending battle ahead of them. I tilt my head, shrugging carelessly as I subtly lift my fingers. The frog from before, which hadn't gone far, floats into the air behind me.

"Look!" One of the children exclaims, pointing at the frog. I raise my eyebrows and turn to look over my left shoulder. As I turn, I quickly push the frog to the right. Laughter erupts from the kids.

"I don't see anything!" I say, turning back to them. They keep pointing, so I look over my right shoulder and push the frog to the left. "You guys are losing it." I shake my head as they laugh even harder. Even Grogu is babbling happily, clapping at my little show.

I sense footsteps behind me, but no threat through the force. The kids are still laughing, though it falters slightly as their gazes tilt upward behind me. I decide to have a little more fun before I get pulled into whatever phase of the plan is next.

"Maybe the Mandalorian knows what you guys are looking at," I say, still watching the kids. Winta giggles, covering her mouth with a tiny hand as her shoulders shake. Mando sighs behind me.

Without warning, I send the frog flying backward until it lands on his armored shoulder. He grunts, pushing the slimy creature back to the ground. I turn around to look at him, unable to wipe the grin off my face as his sets a hand on his hip.