To lose a thing is very easy, but getting it back is always an Herculean task.

I knew within my heart that I was lost, so lost that I couldn't fathom if I could ever be found. Everything my captor said to me actually made more sense to me. I had willingly sold my freedom, but now I wanted it back but there was no way I could get it. But something confused me and that was because I had no chains on and all these things being revealed to me, why now? Why are all these shown to me now when I am at my lowest?
All these thoughts ran through my mind as all that I saw still stuck in my head.

'Maybe I should commit suicide?' I thought.

To me suicide was looking like the best option and my only saving grace to end this mess I found myself. But as I ruminate on the idea, the image of the young lady as she stabbed herself flashed through my mind and immediately, I felt the thought of suicide die.

There was no way I could commit suicide not because of my family, it was not as if they care about me but because I couldn't stand the feeling that I would become a past tense and a forgotten entity if I die. Though, I didn't want to admit, but I still had a little ounce of hope that was holding me back.

Life at this hospital was getting boring each day, I am stuck on this bed with visits from my captor, and none from my mother and sister. It was not as if I yearned for their presence, but I still kind of miss them though. As I continued thinking about them, I heard a knock on my door and the people I thought of came inside in their full glory. There was my mom and sister right in my room and I didn't know when it happened, but I began to beam with smile.

'Big bro!' my sister screamed in excitement and ran to hug me.
'Careful girl, we are in a hospital' my mom chided her.
'Let her be', Nurse Joy said smiling. I had just even noticed her arrival.
'How are you doing? I hope you are eating well and taking your drugs? When are you coming back home? I hope you wouldn't stay here for too long?' my sister said bombarding me with questions.
'Take it easy girl, how can he answer all these questions at once?' Nurse Joy said laughing.
'I am sorry', she apologized.
'Hey little sweetheart, you don't need to apologize. You care that is why your are bothered, but as you can see that I am getting better, but give me a little time and I would get back home soon', I replied smiling.
'Come back home quickly. Home has become unbearable for he has become more of a monster', she said.
'Keep quiet! Never call your father that', my mother scolded.
'I think I need to leave now', Nurse Joy said about to leave.
'Erm please wait, my dear follow Aunty Joy I need to speak with your brother alone', She said to my sister who promptly followed the nurse out of my room.

'What she said is true right?' I asked.
'You don't have to believe all that your sister said as you know that she is just a child'.
'Just a child?' I replied scoffing.
'Just a child and she already can tell that her biological father is actually a monster', I said with a scowl.
'Do not talk about your father like that', she lashed.
'Who do you call my father? That man that never acknowledged me as his son', I spat out bitterly.
'The man you call that man is the reason you are alive' she retorted.
'Oh my bad, I had forgotten that I am here on this earth as a result of his wasted sperm', I said with a sneer.

When I said that, my mother looked at me in bewildment, she knew of a fact that the young man lying on this hospital bed was not the child that she had given birth to.

'Who are you? Where did you keep my son? Because I certainly know that I did not give birth to a bitter human being.Where is the sweet, loving, and kind little boy I tendered all these years? Where is he? Tell me', she said and burst into tears almost immediately.

I couldn't answer her questions because they felt like an hot iron scalding through my already injured heart yet I had one answer to all her questions, her sweet, loving ,and kind kid was dead and his body has been taken up by this being who doesn't know what to do with life anymore.

'Let me tell you something, I know as a good mother I ought to be right next to my son, instead I stayed away. The only reason I stayed away was because whenever I thought about you or planned to pay a visit, I felt my failure as a mother staring me in the face. And sometimes when I think about it, I wouldn't really blame your father too, being a perfectionist, all these would be a big blow on his ego', she said grimly as she stared into space.

This was the part of my mother I hated, she loved to cry and also make her regrets and sadness known. She never felt the need to either encourage herself or even have hope and this part of her also rubbed off on me, as I also never believed in hope was real and now I'm beginning to have a change of heart.

'Mother aren't you tired of leaving under the shadow of your beloved husband?' I asked.
'Why do you talk like this? You know I can't leave him, he is my husband', she replied.
'Quit this husband thing mom, we both know that the marriage you both share is nothing but sham'.

She didn't reply but looked at me sadly. Years back, I had always fought for their staying together but now things have really changed.

'So how is he?' I didn't know why I asked this question because I didn't want my mother to feel like I still cared about him.
'Who?' she asked pretending not to know who I was talking about.
'You know who I am talking about, stop feigning ignorance Mom'.
'Sincerely dear, I don't seem to know whom you are referring to'.
'I am talking about your husband'.
'Why can't you not just call him Dad? That was something you enjoyed calling him back then and moreover he is still your father no matter what'.
'Mom, you have answered you question, I enjoyed calling him in the past, but now I don't; so let it be as it is'.

After my answer there was a deafening silence which felt terrifying, but soon the silence was broken by the ringing tune from her phone which startled her. She relaxed a bit and picked her phone to know who the caller was and immediately her face went pale. I didn't need to ask her who the caller was as her face explained it all.

'You didn't tell him you were coming here right?' I asked.
'My darling, I am sorry but I have to leave with your sister', she said in haste.
'This is your food, I made it specially for you', she said with a narrow smile and ran out.

I gave a light chuckle, that was my mom, even after everything my father had put her through, she is still stuck to him, but unfortunately her dear husband never took her efforts seriously.

It hurts so badly when the people we love more than our lives don't love us back nevertheless, we will still keep loving them-The Trinity.

I know we are getting somewhere with this story but I can't wait to see how it will turn out don't forget to tap that orange star and this chapter is dedicated to PeculiarPraise and every other person for their encouragement by reading, commenting and voting.