02

the weirdo on maple street

✄ - - - -

"SCARLETT?" An urgent voice rang out from outside her room. The door slowly creaked open as Jonathan Byers stepped in. Scarlett was laying down in her bed, a blanket wrapped tightly around her.

"Hi, Jonathan." Scarlett responded quietly, rolling over to face him. It was apparent that she hadn't gotten much sleep, and it was true. The girl sat awake in her bed all night, her blanket enveloping her in what she felt was a safe space. She thought for hours about the creature she had seen, regretting staying out after Jonathan left.

Jonathan approached her, crouching down to view her face. A concerned expression grew on his face as he took a seat next to Scarlett, turning to face her.

"Are you.. okay?" He asked, examining her face.

"Just peachy." She answered quickly, adjusting herself to look less lifeless. "What brings you here though?" She grinned and nudged him, changing the subject.

"We got a phone call." He bursted, grabbing a hold of his friends shoulders and slightly shaking her.

Her eyes widened as the words tumbled out of his mouth. "Who was it? Was it Will?" She asked, a hopeful tone to her voice.

"Mom said it was, she said it was his breathing. She knew it was his." Jonathan fumbled with his zipper as he spoke.

Scarlett's expression faltered as she listened. "Was it just breathing?"

"Breathing and.. whimpering?" Jonathan noticed a change in her tone as she became less hopeful. He was just glad she still believed him and was listening.

"What happened after? Did he hang up?" She continued, attempting to learn more about the experience Jonathan and Joyce had.

She just prayed no one was cruel enough to prank call them.

"Um, not quite. The phone sparked and... burnt." Jonathan answered hesitantly as he recalled the night prior. "Hopper said it was the storm, but I don't think a storm could fry a phone like that."

Scarlett thought on it, reflecting back on her previous night out by Hawkins Lab. "I believe you." She nods.

"You do? I mean, it could've been something with the wire, maybe rain messed it up? I don't know, I'm just thinking." Jonathan rambles on, running through his reasons.

"Jomathan! I believe you. But we can't rule out the fact that this might be bigger than either of us." Scarlett cut off his babbling, staring out her window at the flickering street light. She shook her head. "But um, you know. Could've just been the rain."