04

the body

the body

✄ - - - -

IT WAS ONLY EIGHT IN THE MORNING WHEN THE PHONE BY SCARLETT'S BED RUNG, DISTURBING HER SLUMBER. She stared at it with the intent it would hopefully explode in her face. When it didn't, she groaned and picked it up, holding it to her ear "Hello?" She spoke into the phone, her tone dull as she awaited the response from the caller.

On the other side of the line sat Steve, who nervously cleared his throat. "Um, hi." He began. "It's Steve."

"Steve Harrington, calling me?" Scarlett said sarcastically, a grin pulling at her lips.

"The one and only." Steve wanted to make sure she was okay. From the looks of the news this morning, he knew she wasn't. "Hey um, I saw the news this morning. How are you holding up?"

"Oh me? Just about how anyone losing a loved one would feel." Steve heard her shrug through the phone as he shook his head.

"Listen, I know he was like a little brother to you, and it hurts. But he loved you, he looked up to you. And he would want you to be happy." Steve finished his sentence cautiously, watching what he says.

"Are you telling me to move on? Just like that?" Scarlett snaps her fingers, in disbelief as she listened to Steve.

"No! No, I'm telling you Will would want you to do whatever you feel is right. Talk to the boys, Joyce." He explained himself quickly. On the other line she nodded slowly, knowing that Steve was right after all.

A knock at her door caused her to pivot towards it, waiting for it to creak open. When it did, Lucas peeked in and waved awkwardly. "Who're you talking to?"

"Uh, don't worry about it." She put the phone back up to her ear. "You still there? I'll talk to you later, alright. Bye." Hanging up, she turns to the boy standing in her doorway.

"Hey Lucas." She sent him a small smile, patting the mattress next to her. "How are you?"

He sat down and let out a loud sigh, facing her. "I just don't understand. He can't be dead, he was just hanging out with us." He fumbled with the walk-in talkie he held in his hands. He loved that walk-in talkie, it was like his pride and joy. Well, that and his wrist rocket.

Suddenly, a staticky voice came it through the device, it sounded like Mike's. "Lucas do you copy?" Lucas stared at it, completely disinterested and put it to the side. "Lucas, come one, I know you're there! This is urgent, I'm serious." Scarlett sent Lucas a look, trying to urge him to answer Mike. "I'm not gonna stop until you answer... Lucas. Lucas! Lucas, Lucas, Lucas, Lucas, Lucas, Lucas, Lucas-"