~ 1 ~

C H A P T E R 1
The Dursleys

Jennifer Dursley was Petunia and Vernon Dursleys least favourite child. Although not treated as bad as her cousin, Harry, she was still not as precious as her dim-witted twin, Dudley.

A mistake, she was called. Her parents weren't expecting twins, all of the scans pointed towards a perfectly healthy baby boy. After they found out that they were 'blessed' (as the nurse at the hospital said) to have a healthy baby girl also, they tried suing the hospital. That obviously didn't work as I'm here, not dead, not given away and my parents didn't get a large sum of money in their banks.

♡︎Jennifer♡︎

23/06/91

"Wake up Jennifer! its our birthday!"
With a groan, I got out of bed and made my way downstairs to the sitting room. On my way down I noticed my brother Dudley, Jumping on the stairs a few times to wake our dear, mistreated cousin, harry.

"Good morning Harry,"
"Good morning, Jen, happy birthday."
Me and Harry were always close, Mother and Father didn't approve, but what were they gonna do? They didn't care enough about either of us to do anything about it anyway.

Walking into the open plan kitchen and sitting room with Harry close behind me, I sat on the table, observing another one of Dudleys tantrums. You wouldn't think he was 11.

"How many are there?!"
"36, counted them myself," Father seemed quite chuffed at his statement, clearly oblivious to what he's done.
"36? But last year, Last year I had 37!"
Father looked almost scared of his beloved son.
"Well some of them a-are quite a bit bigger than last year,"
"I don't care how big we are!"

Dudley carried on having a temper tantrum, I was certain that mother was finding a way to make him feel better, once again. "How many presents did I get father?" I wasn't expecting much, maybe one or two presents.
"Well, Jenny, we couldn't quite afford you presents this year, after all we had to pay for Dudleys presents and his trip to the zoo with his friend, Pierce!"
I scoffed. I don't know why I expected any better from my terrible excuse of a family.

In the car on the way to the zoo, I sat in the middle seat in the back, next to Dudleys friend Pierce. Harry, bless his soul, got stuck crammed in the boot of the car.

At the zoo, my parents followed Dudley wherever he desired to go. He watched a snake for a few seconds. Upon realising it wasn't moving, my father started tapping the glass. "Oi, move," he said
"Move!" Dudley added,
"He's asleep!" Harry was clearly getting fed up, like myself, so as my parents and Dudley went to look at the next best reptile, we stayed.

"I'm sorry about him," Harry said
I added on, "They don't know what it's like to be mistreated, clearly."
The snake jerked his head slightly, almost in a nodding motion, harry carried on talking, shocked. "Can you hear us?" The snake nodded again.
"Well it's just, we've never talked to a snake before."
"Mum, dad, you won't believe what this snake is doing!" Dudley pushed me and Harry down onto the dusty floor, we looked at each other, shock and anger plastered on both our faces.

Before any words could be exchanged, the glass in the enclosure disappeared forcing Dudley to fall inside of the snakes enclosure. The snake slowly slithered away, making sure to thank Harry and I on its way out. "anytime."

As soon as mother saw Dudley she freaked out. Dudley was her pride and joy and I was more or less a stranger.

Once we got home, Harry got a massive lecture. Father blaming him for the strange occurrence at the zoo. The next day, Harry brought mail into the dining room, where we all sat eating the breakfast he prepared. He came over and passed me a letter, I flashed him an apologetic look as he did so. I noticed he had an identical letter to myself in his hand. Before he could open it, however, Dudley snatched it out of his hand.
"Look, look, Harry's got a letter!" he looked over at me, "And Jennifer has too!" He snatched my letter, also, handing them over to father.