part two

Kyra went back to her room to get ready for work. She was still in her pajamas. She hadn't bothered to remove the jacket when she had tried to fall asleep again. As she pulled on her socks, she looked over at the hook that had fallen down to the floor earlier that morning. She was going to be at least a few minutes late for work already, so she left the hook for later. As she ran outside into the cool morning air, water from her roof dripped onto her face. At least it had stopped raining. Kyra wiped her face off with her sleeve and sprinted to work. As she got to the mechanical parts shop, she groaned. In the attic of the mechanical parts shop was the sorting area where they sorted good parts from bad parts, and that was where she was headed. She opened the door and the little bell rang.

"Hi, Kyra!" Kyra's boss, Cyrus, said as he looked up.

"Hi, Cyrus." Kyra replied in a bored voice. Kyra trudged upstairs. Her friend Blaze was already upstairs sorting mechanical pieces. So were her other friends Dawn, Harper, Fox, and Phoenix.

"Hi, Kyra!" Blaze exclaimed as he looked up from the motor he held in his grease-stained hands.

Kyra glanced down at the motor and returned the greeting to Blaze. "Hello, Blaze." Kyra's other friends were too busy talking or sorting to notice Kyra. So were the other people who worked in the sorting section of the mechanical parts shop.

As Kyra began to make her way over to her waiting bins, she heard someone yelling downstairs. "I'll only accept 500 eyils!" It sounded like Cyrus' enraged voice.

"That's way overpriced for a robot hand! Down at Wirits Mechanical Parts I can get the same robot hand for just 200 eyils!" yelled the other enraged voice.

"I'm only accepting 500 eyils! You either just give me 500 eyils or leave and never come back!" replied Cyrus.

Kyra ran downstairs to try to calm the speakers. "Wait, wait! Why don't you just sell it for 300 eyils!" Kyra yelled over their screaming voices. Suddenly, the voices silenced.

"I said, I'll only accept 500 eyils!" Cyrus yelled in Kyra's face.

"I heard that, but if you accept this, you'll still be getting money." Kyra replied.

"I'll accept." said the customer.

"350." said Cyrus.

"Ok." the customer said. "350." he counted out and slapped down 350 eyils on the counter. Cyrus snatched up the coins and threw the hand at the customer across the counter. He put the coins in his pocket and they jingled around as he turned. The customer nodded at Kyra in thanks and turned and walked out of the store. Kyra turned and trudged up the stairs. She strolled over to her sorting position. There were three bins full of mechanical parts waiting for her to be sorted. She grabbed the lower leg of a robot and put that into the good parts bin and continued sorting.

* * *

Kyra finished working just as the sun started creeping back behind the buildings. She, along with some coworkers, carried the bins full of good parts down to the front counter while the bins with the bad parts were carried to the dumpster by other coworkers. When all the bins were taken care of, everyone met down by the front desk to collect their pay.

"What do you guys want?" Cyrus asked, annoyed, as he counted the money he had made that day.

"You know what we're here for!" said Oriel, another person who Kyra worked with.

"Umm... no I don't." replied Cyrus greedily. Everyone knew that he knew what they were there for. Everyone also knew how much Cyrus loved money, and why he pretended that he didn't know what they were talking about when they came down for their pay.