Just For One Night

I sit alone in the back of my favorite little coffee shop sipping my coffee and people-watching just as I do every Thursday morning. As I sit there staring out the window my mind wanders back to what happened three years ago. Three years ago Hannah was found, three years ago I found out I didn’t really matter to people as much as I thought and three years ago my heart was broken by the one person I trusted more than anything. After Hannah was found the messages from my so-called friends in Duskwood came less and less until they eventually stopped coming altogether. Once Hannah was found there was no room for me in their lives. I can’t help but think back to that last conversation with Jake. The one that broke my heart in two.

Jake is online

Jake: We did it MC we saved Hannah. I couldn’t have done it without you and I don’t know how I will ever repay you.

MC: Well, how about you take me on a date?

Jake: I don’t think that’s a good idea. In fact I think you should forget about me.

MC: Jake what are you saying? I can’t just forget about you that would be impossible.

Jake: MC I am a wanted hacker. It would have never worked between us. I’m sorry but there is no reason for us to remain in contact now that Hannah is safe.

Jake is offline

Shortly after that conversation every trace of Jake was completely wiped from my phone even the screenshots I had taken of our conversations just vanished. It’s been three years and although it still hurts to think about it doesn’t hurt as much as it once did. My heart has accepted the fact that I was never anything more than a means to an end to them.

“Hey, do you mind if I sit here?” A voice says bringing me out of my thoughts.

I look up and see a girl about my age, thin with long brown hair, standing by my table. She motions to the seat in front of me. I look around noticing there are several empty tables and I can’t help but wonder why she is bothering me.

“Umm sure I guess.” I manage to say finally. As she sits down I can’t help but notice her striking resemblance to Hannah.

“Thank you.” She says smiling at me. I notice a slight accent which is a sure sign she’s not from here.

“I’m not from here what are some good restaurants nearby?” She asks.

“Well, there’s Lynn’s diner downtown and a couple of fast food places out by the interstate. Other than that there’s not much until you hit the next town over.” I tell her and she nods. Just then the realization hits this isn’t a tourist town this isn’t a town anyone visits. “What brings you to Brentwood? This isn’t the kind of town people just come to visit.” I ask

“Oh, I suppose not.” She smiles innocently and brushes her hair out of her face. “I’m actually here to visit an old friend. She saved my life once and I wanted to check in on her and make sure she’s doing alright.” She acts as though she wants to continue but stops and smiles that bright smile that she’s had since she walked up.

“Oh well, I’m sure she will be happy to see you.” I say reassuringly

“I really hope so. Thank you for your time I must get going now. It was nice meeting you MC.” She says and gets up walking away before I have time to realize I didn’t tell her my name. I stare at the door she just walked out in confusion for a few moments before looking down at the table. There on the table where she was sitting is a folded piece of paper. I carefully pick it up. My heart nearly stops when I read the words.

MC,

Thank you so much for everything. If it wasn’t for you I wouldn’t be here. Don’t ever think what you did was not appreciated. I owe my life to you and though I know I can never repay you I hope this helps.

-Hannah

Below her short message was an address. I recognize the address as being in the old industrial area just outside of town. Most of the buildings there are now abandoned. Without hesitation, I get up and leave the coffee shop as the address is only about a 15-minute walk from here. I head down a long alleyway towards an old abandoned warehouse. A million different questions race through my head. Could he really be here? Does he want to see me? Is this a trap?

I reach the end of the alleyway and I’m standing directly in front of an old rusty door. I try to open it and it doesn’t budge. Do I knock? I stand there for a few minutes trying to decide what to do final I decide to knock. Nothing happens. I sigh and turn to walk away internally chastising myself for coming here and for getting my hopes up.

As I start to walk away I hear the door creak open behind me but before I can turn around someone grabs me and pulls me into the dark warehouse. I find myself being slammed up against the wall.

“Who are you and how’d you find me?” Says the hooded man in front of me.

“I-” I start to speak but can’t get the words to come out. The person holding me against the wall suddenly lets go and backs up.

“MC?” He says in disbelief. He bends down and picks up the note that I had dropped when he grabbed me. “Hannah? She sent you here?”

“Jake?” I ask but get no response.

“I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have come.” I whisper.

“No, you shouldn’t have!” He says angrily.

I rush past him to leave as tears start to stream down my face. This was a mistake. I’m not sure what I expected but this wasn’t it. Before I make it to the door he grabs me again. I find myself being pushed up against the wall one but this time it was different. This time his lips came crashing down on mine in a passionate kiss. He pulls away and without opening his eyes presses his forehead against mine. I just stand there frozen unsure of what to do. He slowly opens his eyes looking down at me.

“Fuck, MC you’re crying.” He says softly wiping the tears from my cheeks causing me to cry even more. “I’m so sorry. Did I hurt you? I just didn’t expect it to be you at the door.”

“I’m fine.” I manage to say between sniffles.

He wraps his arms around me pulling me close to his chest. “Please stop crying.” He whispers.

“I’m just a mess of emotions and I don’t know what to think, Jake. You got what you wanted and you just left. It was like you were just using me and once you were done I meant nothing to you. Then Hannah shows up and gives me that note and I come here. You’re so angry I’m here and act like you don’t want to see me then… Then you kiss me? I just don’t know what to believe anymore.”

“MC, I disappeared because I wanted to protect you not because I didn’t care about you. I was angry when I saw you because all you did by coming here was put yourself in danger.” He steps back into the shadows where I can’t see his face.

“I don’t care, Jake. I would gladly give up my freedom is it meant spending my life with you.”

“I know but I can’t let you do that. I can’t let you throw your life away for me.” He yells and I can tell he’s frustrated.

“Well, too bad because I’m already here and you’re not getting rid of me that easily.” I say stepping closer to him noticing he is now the one crying.

He smiles and shakes his head. “Damn it I’ve missed you. I could do without your stubbornness though.”

“So you’ve missed me? Does that mean you’ll let me stay?”

He steps forward closing the distance between us. He gently cups my face and plants a soft kiss on my lips. “Ugh fine but just for one night.”