Cake > Jake

I look at the clock on the wall and notice I'm down to the last five minutes of my work day. This has been one of the worst days I've had in years. The deadlines for three projects were moved up to tomorrow from next week. Because of this, I had to do a week's worth of work in a day. Well, technically, more than a week, because I am a procrastinator. I had to work through my lunch break, so not only am I angry and exhausted, but I'm starving as well. The only thought keeping me sane today is that I have an amazing boyfriend and a slice of German chocolate cake waiting for me at home.

I'm putting the final touches on one of the presentations I've been preparing when I look at the clock again, and it is time to go home. I shut down my computer, grab my bag, and head down to the parking garage to my car. The whole drive home, all I can think of is that slice of cake. I get home, rush into the kitchen, drop my bag on the counter, and open the fridge. I hear Jake sneak up behind me, and before I know it, he wraps his arms around my middle.

"How was work today, babe?" He asks.
"Awful," I say nonchalantly and turn to face him. "Where's my cake?"
"What cake?
"The German chocolate cake. I had one piece left, and it was here this morning."
"Umm, about that," Jake says, and I can see a blush creep up his neck and across his face. "I may have had it for lunch."
"You what?!" I ask in disbelief while trying to keep myself from crying.
"It had been in the fridge for two days. I didn't think you were going to eat it."
"How could you? How could you betray me like that?"
"MC, it's just cake, not an act of betrayal." He says in a calm tone that makes me even angrier.
"It's not just cake! It's my favorite cake!"
"I'm sor-"
"No!" I cut him off. "I am done with you! I want you out of my house!"
"Seriously? Over cake?" He says dumbfounded.
"I had a horrible day, and all I could think about was coming home and eating my favorite cake, and you ruined that for me! I'm going to take a shower. I want you gone by the time I get out."

Without giving him a chance to respond, I storm off to the bedroom and slam the door behind me. I strip off my clothes, turn on the water, and step in before the water even has a chance to warm up. I start sobbing and allow the water to wash away all of the tears. Am I overreacting? Yes, I am fully aware of that, but I am just so hurt.

After a very long shower and some very hard crying, I come to my senses. Did I really just break up with my boyfriend over cake? "Shit!" I mutter to myself, remembering I told him I wanted him out. I turn off the water, grab a towel, and quickly wrap myself in it before rushing out of the bathroom. I rush into the living room and realize he's already gone. I slowly walk back into the bedroom and sit on the bed. I start sobbing once again at the fact that he's gone. Now, I have no cake and no boyfriend. Those were the two things I wanted to come home to, and now I don’t have either. There's a knock on the bedroom door, starling me.

"Go away," I say, defeated.
"MC, please let me come in," Jake says poking his head around the door.
"Fine."
He walks in with a plate in his hands; on, it is a piece of German chocolate cake and a fork.
"You bought more cake?" I ask.
"I had to go to three bakeries and two supermarkets before I found German chocolate cake, but I would do anything for you."
"Why? I was so mean to you."
He takes the plate, places it in my hands on my lap, and kneels in front of me. He gently wipes my tears away.
"Because I never want to be the cause of your tears. Unless they are happy tears, of course. So, am I forgiven?" I nod and start to dig into the cake. Jake lets out a chuckle. "I can't believe you were going to break up with me over cake."
"I wanted to hurt you like you hurt me." I mumble with my mouth full.
"I'll leave you alone with your cake, and go start dinner." He gets up, kisses my forehead, and walks out of the bedroom. I can't help but smile. Now I have both my boyfriend and my cake again. All is right in the world.