xv. A Careful Murderer

♛

IT WAS PERHAPS noon when seven passengers occupied the saloon car, a bit too paranoid to stay in another car otherwise. They were scattered about, minding their own business as smooth jazz played in the background. That was until the arrival of the detective, with an obvious purpose, alerted the passengers.

Snow's head turned away from the window to see Namjoon standing in front of Jungkook, reading a textbook. The younger boy looked up at him curiously.

"Might I inspect your cabin, sir?" Namjoon asked him firmly.

Jungkook raised his eyebrows in both concern and displease. "My cabin? I thought the luggage part was a bit too far, but my cabin?" he asked, the other passengers hearing Jungkook's stern voice for the first time.

Namjoon seemed unimpressed by this, tilting his chin out. "You have claimed that you have not brought any luggage, though I have noticed that you have worn three different ties on your journey so far, and I am sure that a student as yourself would be prioritizing your assignments in your said briefcase instead of several ties, so may I check your compartment?"

The color drained from Jungkook's face. "I am not sure what you're implying! I have nothing to hide!"

"Perfect," Namjoon smiled fakely. "If you have nothing to hide, you will let me inspect your cabin briefly."

Jungkook sputtered, his fingers trembling on his textbook. "F-Fine."

The passengers followed Namjoon all the way to Jungkook's cabin, mostly in curiosity. Jungkook was about to enter the cabin after Namjoon, though was blocked by a serious Seokjin.

"What—You can't keep me out of my cabin," Jungkook wide-eyed him.

"I just did," Seokjin accusingly squinted at him, and Namjoon began to search the cabin as they watched curiously. Snow's breath was beginning to hitch, seeing Namjoon this serious for once. Is Jungkook really hiding something?

"This is ridiculous," Jungkook scoffed, carefully glancing at Namjoon as he nervously shifted. "A man can fit ties in their briefcase!"

They watched as Namjoon paused in the cabin. The detective was staring at the bed. He slowly walked toward it, sitting on top of it as they peered inside with confusion. Jungkook gulped.

Namjoon promptly stood up, though immediately turned back around, burying his hands underneath the bed's mattress. He pulled it up, indeed revealing a case—Jungkook's luggage.

"What the hell?" Hoseok gasped as he looked over Jimin's shoulder in fear.

Namjoon took it out from underneath the mattress, plopping it onto the bed.

"Hey—!" Jungkook protested, though was held firmly in place by Seokjin who was watching Namjoon intently.

The detective slowly opened the case, gently tossing the top onto the bed. There were clothes, suits, and ties, just as they would expect to be in a luggage. Though, Namjoon was not finished.