•2•

Spencer

I'd almost decided to skip the ball, seeing as I knew I wouldn't dance with anyone.

That was my reputation. The 'mysterious' Lord Salmon. I'd never courted anyone, never even danced with someone.

And it'd probably remain that way.

The only reason I'd gone to the ball was because Will asked me to. He wanted a friend there, and I'd agreed.

So far no one had approached us, and part of me was glad for it.

After about thirty minutes I saw two girls approaching us, so I lightly nudged Will so he'd stand up. Him having been leaning against the wall.

Before any of us said anything, I studied the girls in front of us. One clearly gave no fucks about society based on what she was wearing, her fire red hair hanging free around her shoulders. The other seemed to be the calmer of the two. Her blonde hair pulled out of her face, wearing a light purple gown. I noticed she was blushing as well, and I was unsure as to why.

"Ladies." Will bowed his head lightly to the two and I followed in suit. I decided it best to keep quiet unless one of them spoke to me, just watching the two.

"Hi." The red head nodded lightly to us.

"What are your names?" I was half greatful that Will was still talking.

"Lilah Fairchild." The blonde smiled lightly, brushing her hair from her face.

"I'm Emily." The woman seemed to hesitate before continuing. "Emily Sherman."

I immediately realized why she was hesitant to give her last name, and if Will did, he didn't say anything.

Rather than reacting to her hesitation, Will simply took her hand lightly, kissing the back of it. "It's lovely to meet you, Miss Sherman."

She blushed, just nodding slightly, half seeming to be frozen in place.

Lilah lightly nudged her friend before looking back to us. "You know our names, yet we don't know yours."

Emily looked at her, her eyes landing on me for a moment first. "How do you not know who he is?" She murmured, probably assuming we couldn't hear as she subtly nodded to me. "That's Lord Salmon, he's known to be elusive, never even been seen dancing with anyone."

I glanced at Will, chuckling faintly.

"You listen to too much gossip Emily, how do you know if that's true or not?" She raised an eyebrow.

"She's not wrong." I hmmed, leaning back against the wall and crossing my arms. "Some gossip is true." I smirked faintly, easily noticing the blush creeping up Lilah's neck as I looked at her.

Will swatted at my arm, giving me a light glare before looking back to Emily. "Care to dance?" He asked, offering a hand.

She blinked and tilted her head faintly before nodding. "I- yes, of course." She took his hand and before I could say a word they were gone.

"I've never seen her at a loss for words." Lilah chuckled softly, shaking her head.

"Yeah, Will has that effect. He denies it but it's plain as day." I shook my head.

"Guess I'm alone now." She shook her head.

"You don't have any other friends here?" I tilted my friend. "I thought you'd have a lot of friends."

"I mean, I know a lot of people because of my family but Emily's my only real friend. And none of my siblings are here because they're either married or too young."

"You don't have to be alone here." Gods what was I doing? I had a reputation, and I wasn't planning on ever breaking it-

"What do you mean?" She tilted her head, brushing a loose bit of hair behind her ear.

I held my hand out. "Dance with me?"