Chapter 35

Madelaina:

"What was that?" I breathe.

"I don't know." He replies. Suspicion laced into his words and I feel him pull on my wrists, bringing me closer. But it is different this time. Control not behind it, but a gentleness? Protectiveness.

In the next second, thunder rumbles.

I jump a little and when I do, I do it towards him. So now, I am right against him and my hands, wrists still locked in his, are braced against his chest.

He slowly releases me, but only to place his hands on my hips.

I feel his breaths fanning my lips and if it weren't from the light of the moon shining through the windows, I wouldn't be able to see how close he is. And he is. So very close.

A strike of lightning hits next and i jump again. Again, against him. And he slides his hands from my hips to come around my waist.

My chest is against his now and I can feel my heart banging against my rib cage. My hands are still in place though. Just above our chests and I can feel his heart beating just as erratically as mine.

I hear a few little taps on the windows and turn to look at them. Suddenly, a downpour of rain comes crashing down from the clouds and another round of thunder shakes the sky.

I let out a breath and look back to Lucas. Only to find his eyes already on me. Or...still on me.

Our eyes meet and my lips part. His face is bathed in a bluish hue from the darkness of the room and the glow of the night sky. His dark green eyes sparkle and his hair allows for a few strands to fall onto his forehead.

He is beautiful.

I feel one of his hands trail from around me to my arm. And from there, it travels up until his fingers are touching the side of my face.

"Madelaina..."

That one word. My name. A single whisper from his lips and I feel my head get lighter and my blood grow warmer.

I don't understand what is happening right now. Not five minutes ago we were arguing and now...

Now, I don't know what.

He brushes the back of his fingers over my cheek and I close my eyes.

What is happening to me?

I'm sure I'm supposed to be mad at him for something.

"Look at me." He rasps and I slowly obey him. Opening my eyes and looking up at him.

His hold on me tightens and I hold my breath when he lets out one of his own as our gazes meet.

He bends his head a little lower and I hold onto him with strength I'm surprised I even have, considering my limbs feel numb.

His eyes darken and just as I think he is going to do something, the strike of a match echoes from down the hall.

I swivel my head in the direction of the slightly open door but don't let go of him. My grip not weakening even a little. And neither does his. In actuality, I'd say his grows tighter.

And then, "It's alright, just the storm. I'm sure the lights will be back when it's over."

The maid from earlier. I recognise her voice. She must be with the girls.

The gap between the two doors lightens with the fiery glow of what I assume to be the sconces being lit.

Lucas sighs and I look back at him. There is now a golden strip on his face from where the light is hitting him.