xvii

Kelly came to the house late afternoon, she told me that everything was set for the surprise birthday and all the employees for both Feast and The grill were on stand by waiting for us. "Am so nervous", i told Kelly as were leaving the house. "Don't worry, i promise you that everything will be perfect and he is going to love it", she assured me.

We arrived at the restaurant just in time. The restaurant manager told us that everything was set just waiting for me. What Cheng didn't know was that we had announced earlier that the restaurant was reserved from six and invited only his loyal customers and family to celebrate the day with him. It was something that i was told was never done before. There was a projector set at the bar that we wanted to display some stuff.

I walked into the kitchen and found him so concentrated in cooking as usual. "Cheng", i called him trying my best to not sound nervous. "Hey Cup cake, am finishing up and we will be set to go", he said giving me a peck on the lips and went back to cutting some meat. We waited patiently until he was done. When he went to greet his customers, everyone shouted 'Happy Birthday!' his eyes were wide in shock. I didn't wait to process so i pressed play and everyone turned to the projector screen.

Worker 1: I met Chef Young at the farmer's market, my child was crying because she was hungry and i had just lost my job as a dish washer at one of the fast food joints that was there. I didn't even know who he was at the time, he took my boy in his arms and gave him and apple asking him what was wrong and the moment he found out about our situation he took us with him, fed us and five years i am a restaurant manager with qualifications that i only read in books of women that inspired me. You are amazing and we love you. I know you hate it when i call you this but Happy Birthday Boss!

Worker 2: I have been second best all my life and my family just hates my guts because let's face it no parent wants to hear their son's dream is to be a Chef at twenty. They wanted me to be a doctor but i knew where my passion lies and because of Chef Young am now the Executive Chef at The Grill cooking up a storm and i wouldn't have it any other way. Thank you and Happy Birthday Chef.

Worker 3: I have been working for Mr. Young for as long as i can remember, I own him everything that i have. He trusted me with Luxury Corner when i had nothing but failure from my past. He encouraged me to use my failure as a way to grow and that is what i did. Even though we have five hotels now and he keeps on claiming that i made us reach this point, i know in my heart that it was his guidance and tireless support that did it. Happy Birthday Mr. Young.

Customer: Hi, is this on? Oh great! Uh... hi again, waoh! where do i start, i was Chef Young's first customer. I remember it was raining that day wasn't it Frank? But he was so adorable and served us like we were first class royalty it was the first time i tipped someone a hundred dollars but this boy can cook. Feast became our anniversary spot ever since that day. Happy Birthday my boy.

Cheng's Mother: Am so proud of you. I have never told you this but i have all your eight books and i have read all of them, your Father even tried to practice some of the recipes and ended up almost burning the house so i guess he should stick to barbecue. We might not tell you that often but we love you so much and we are proud of you, especially Jason. I caught him watching your first michelin star ceremony once so yeah he is just too scared to admit it so please know that we are all here for you and we love you. Happy Birthday Chenglei and we are not getting any younger we want gran-.

We all laughed because we knew what she wanted to say. Everyone clapped their hands including all the workers that were watching online. I have never seen him so happy, i turned to look at Kelly and she was having happy tears while giving me a thumbs up. I called Lee and told him to bring out the cake. They sang for him while i recorded it. His family was called to eat the cake it was nice seeing them all from a far as i was still scared of being formally introduced. I was deep in thought when I was elbowed by Kelly gesturing for me to give her the camera. I looked at her not understanding her until i turned and the whole room was looking at me. "He called you", she said with a smile. I turned toward him and our eyes met. He was offering me his hand, I knew i was blushing like a tomato at this point. But i walked towards him anyway. He offered me a piece of cake and pulled me in a hug, it felt good, it felt like it was only me and him in the whole room.