Episode 14: The Wishless Chemist

Everyone needs a break once in a while, even the most stoic of monster slayers. Injuries from battle, fatigue from exertion, and general equipment troubles can stop even the most proficient of warriors dead in their tracks.

Murtoa of Lakia, possibly the most proficient monster slayer in the world, who started his profession on accident, will even take a moment of down time when he can no longer press forward.

The human warrior just told a story to his friends, filling in many gaps in the warrior's personality and answering questions of what motivates a man to risk everything to save total strangers for very little reward. He takes a seat on the ground and lies out flat, saying, "Good work everyone."

The group smiles together, and they stay near him. Gyrryth, whether in mischievous knowing or innocent kindness, places Lykha gently on Murtoa's chest. She starts to protest, but he simply smirks down at her. He says quietly, "I shall continue to patrol, just in case."

Murtoa replies without moving, "Thanks. Call if you need help."

"Of course, my friend."

Maerin whispers softly, "I... I still can't believe you did it..."

Lykha smiles, saying softly, "We did it. You included."

"I don't know how... My head is killing me..."

Coco says warmly, "You can res' easy, Machen. My love's frien's are my frien's."

The mature fairy grumbles, "Didn't you hear what I just said a bit ago?" Regardless, she rests her chin on the top of Coco's head.

Lykha teases, "We're lucky if Coco listens at all."

"HEY!" The three chuckle together.

Soon, a sand rail races close, sliding to a stop in the sand. Kolaya almost falls out of the vehicle as she looks at the scattered mud around. It looks bad at a glance, but not a single drop of the goo is moving of its own free will.

"I... I don't believe it."

Coco replies, "You don' 'ave to, Machen. Nose blasts all that sticks of tha' nasty monsty."

Kolaya scoffs, but the disbelief hasn't left her. She sinks to her knees. "I-... It's over? Truly?"

Murtoa says from the ground, "It was an unprecedented monster. But, everything we can tell, it's dead."

Coco snaps her fingers, making a realization. "Our li'l jar pal! Is it creepin' on the big still?" She climbs to her feet, walking briskly to the sand rail. Vielall is still in the back, her mouth covered in disbelief.

The teen returns with the jar, turning it over.

Sure enough, the slime in the jar doesn't pursue a direction the way it did. If the monster had sunk into the ground, it should at least be trying to point down. If its 'self' was present somewhere, it should be choosing a direction.

The slime in the jar sticks to the bottom, where it settled. With enough tilt, it does slide a little, but it's not moving the way it was.

Coco hands the jar to Kolaya, saying, "I'm jus' a rookie monsty slaya, Machen, but I say, this monsty done."

Murtoa scoffs, "Agreed."

Gyrryth says from nearby, "I'm seeing no signs of life as well."

Kolaya sighs. She sinks down on the ground, breaking into laughing sobs, tears of relief and happiness as she covers her eyes with her hands and flops down onto her own back. She lets the stress and anxiety finally melt off of her.

After a moment of relaxation for all of them, Kolaya finally says softly, "I guess... I need to take you to your money, huh...?"

There's only a brief pause as everyone looks to Murtoa. He doesn't stir or move. He instead says, "Can't. I refused the job, remember?"