Episode 16: The Trench

Glass or Diamond

Episode 16

Air. It is as necessary to fire as to life. Take away the breath, and a living thing will die. It is an effective way to defeat men and monsters alike.

Taking breath away can be easier said than done, but it's rarely impossible.

The opposite is less true. Once taken away, breath can very easily become impossible to reclaim.

That's why he must conserve what he has. The moment he knew; the moment it began, he took a breath and held. When he knew he could take another, he exchanged. It was all about time, now. If he could escape, he would escape, but he needs to find a chance to. The sand rail's frame will protect him some, but only from impacts.

The sand closes in around him, bearing down on him with immense weight. He nearly coughs out his last breath. He has seconds with it. He has none without.

Darkness surrounds him, but it doesn't frighten him. Monsters prowl the darkness. So does he. Monsters of the dark do not fear it. Neither does he.

Sand is nothing like water, though. He can't simply shed weight and swim. He has only one chance at all, and all of the sand above him will deter him with firm and near-crushing weight.

He stands up -or tries to-. He's never been buried like this. He's typically very careful not to for this very reason.

It's now or never.

He puts all of his might into standing up. His only good fortune right now is that the sand is still shifting.

He can feel his lungs burning. He's running out of time. He can't tell his vision is fading, but he's sure it must be.

He is able to straighten his legs, and can feel the sand scraping mercilessly into his armor and down his skin. He forces his right hand upwards. It's his only chance now. He has to have faith. Did his friends get him into this mess or did he? Ultimately, his chosen destination is partially to blame, but that chosen destination revolves around his companions.

However he got here, now, his friends are the only ones who can save him barring some other immense amount of luck.

His hand starts to feel cold. Could it be above the sand? He tries to flex his fingers, and they feel free... maybe. He's losing feeling and can tell his consciousness is hanging by a thread.

He can hear the lernaetode roar through the sand, muffled in the distance as his mind starts to turn static.

************************************

Murtoa's sand rail is gone in what feels like less than a blink. "Mury?"

Gyrryth is the first to have a true reaction, though. He jogs to the edge of the sinking slope, and he quickly draws one of his lightning pistols. He intones the spell, firing the pistol as soon as the glow ignites, and thunder rips down the hill with an angered roar in response.

The lizardman spellshot jogs towards them, shouting as the three girls try to approach, "TO THE CRUISER! WE HAVE TO GO!"

Coco accuses with rage, "We no' leavi-"

Gyrryth backhands her, saying, "Don't even suggest it girl! We have to grab him on the run!"

She shakes her head clear, joining him as he sprints toward the cruiser. The two fairies fly as quickly as they can to keep up.

The reptilian has to hold his hat down when a gust nearly takes it, and he yanks the door of the passenger side of the cab open, lifting it without hesitation off of its hinge. Lykha had no idea the doors came off so easily, and he throws it into the back cabin of the cruiser, closing the ramp. He orders, "Get us close, and I'll grab Sir Murtoa! We can't stop for long!"