7. Interrogation

AN: A much needed shorter chapter after that monstrous 9k last chapter lol

Codenames:Loid: BondmanYor: RoseAnya: PeanutsFranky: MopYuri: Chihuahua

xxx

The last thing Karen expected to wake up to was the sound of SSS agents knocking on her door and arresting her for suspicion of espionage.

State Security Services, acronym SSS, seeked to root out spies from Ostania.

So why the hell did they arrest her!?

Karen clenched her fists, hissing when the metal handcuff dug into her thin, bony wrists even further. She didn't know if it was because she was a lady that they hadn't gone physical on her, but she had no doubt that if this interrogation went on any longer, they would surely lose their patience and use the inhumane tactics that gave them their infamous reputation within the country.

"I'm born and raised in Berlint! And my daddy is a patriotic man and everything he's ever done was for the sake of Ostania! I can afford anything I want, so there's no reason for me to betray my country!" She blurted out desperately, hoping to convince them their suspicion of her was unwarranted while they were still going easy on her.

The young-looking officer interrogating her slid a piece of paper across the table.

"Is that so? How do you explain this then?"

It was a bank statement of her recent transactions. Karen swept her gaze down the list, her heart nearly stopped beating when she noticed what the issue was.

"10k Dalc vanished after being withdrawn from the bank. Care to explain what this is for?"

Shit!

This was, of course, the amount she paid to Garden to hire them to kill Twilight.

This transaction should have been hidden! After her daddy found out about it, he promised her he would do everything in his power to sweep it under a rug and remove it from her ledger!

So how did they find it!?

"Plus, age thirty and still unmarried? Not even a boyfriend? You don't find many women like this nowadays. Even my sister who has no experience in romance managed to fall in... l-, ugh, and get ma... ughhh." The officer groaned with a sour look.

Like I give a shit about your sister!

And it's my fault that I don't have a boyfriend!? I'd like to see how you'd fare after being duped into a relationship by a spy!

Karen thought she had gotten over Robert. But after that encounter with Twilight, after hearing him whisper behind her in that unnecessarily sexy voice of his, she couldn't stop thinking about him. To think that she would end up falling for him even harder after seeing his dark side. It was embarrassing!

And every time she decided to leave it behind her and start a new relationship, she'd become wary of any man who hit on her and suspect them to be a spy. Even after she pushed past that suspicion and tried to date them, she'd hear phantom whisperings of Twilight's seductive voice and become hot and flustered.

"Hello Karen, or should I say, good evening?"

It continued to ring in her head like a broken record. During the day, during the night, and especially in her dreams. If he wasn't alive, she would've even suspected him of haunting her as a spirit!

"I will be taking your silence as a-"

"Wait!"

Why was she suspected of espionage when she was the victim here? Had she not suffered enough from Twilight's emotional manipulations?