9. Reconciliation

AN: Borrowing this guy's character and appearance for the junior agent who hates Yuri cuz I don't want to make an OC when there's an existing character I can use (not my fault he has the face of a villain) ↑

Apparently the SSS uniform and rank are based on Nazi SS. I compared both rank insignias and I couldn't figure out what rank the guy above is. What I do know is that he's probably below Yuri due to his insignia not having as much stuff as Yuri's does (and if you compare Yuri's rank to his scarred friend's rank, you'll see his friend has an extra dot that Yuri doesn't have). But 2nd Lieutenant is the lowest officer rank, and since the Nazi SS has NCOs, for the sake of this story I'm going to assume this guy is a NCO.

The emblem of the State Security Service had always been a source of power and conviction for its agents. There was a reason why the SSS decided to hang it on the wall in the interrogation room, the wall behind the interrogator that directly faced the suspect. The single eye of the eagle that glared down on the guilty often resulted in a welcomed addition of pressure and duress.

Whenever Yuri was interrogating someone, having the eye behind him was always reassuring and gave him the confidence to carry on his mission.

However, he never thought he'd one day be on the receiving end of the eye's pressure.

The interrogation room was completely dark save for the lone lamp casting a soft white shade of light onto the table. Loidy was seated next to him with his hands cuffed behind him to the chair, his eyes closed and his head drooping, like he was asleep, but the tension in his neck showed he was just as vigilant as Yuri was, if not more (which was highly unlikely for a civilian).

It had been two hours since their arrest. They were thrown into this room immediately after and were given the silent treatment ever since. Yuri knew what they were trying to do. Ignoring the suspect was a common and effective tactic to psychologically torture them and apply unseen pressure. The suspect was already in an unsettled state after being arrested by the secret police so to be ignored by the very people who caught them would aggravate their anxiety, filling their head with pessimistic thoughts such as: What are they doing? What do they have in store for me? Do they already have enough evidence to prosecute me so they see no point in interrogating me? Or are they going after my allies as well? Did I accidentally let slip my contacts? Where did I slip up? Silence at a time like this was not a blessing, but a punishment.

Yuri would like to believe such a tactic he was familiar with wouldn't work on him, but his mind was already starting to wander. Why did they arrest him? It couldn't be because he failed to catch Twilight. They knew such a slippery bastard wouldn't be caught so easily.

Plus, it was his first mission after his promotion. His boss, who had a good impression of him, had patted his back and told him not to let it get to him. Since Loidy wasn't Twilight, the real Twilight must have sniffed out their plan and alerted his accomplice while Yuri's attention was on Loidy, ergo Franklin's disappearance when agents stormed into his house only to find it empty.

So it must have been a personal reason. The boss liked him, so unless it was from a higher command, he wouldn't let something like this happen to his promising subordinate. Maybe it had something to do with that NCO who hated him? But no matter what strings he pulled, someone of his rank couldn't possibly get a superior officer arrested.

Loidy's arrest also boggled him. Did they arrest him because they didn't believe Yuri when he said Lottie was innocent? Or was he arrested for the same reason (whatever that was) Yuri was?

Or perhaps they...found out about Yor's secret job?

Thorn Princess may not necessarily be an enemy of Ostania, she was still dangerous enough to be considered a threat in case she ever turned against them. Such a dangerous individual wouldn't be allowed to live if unmasked. Considering the kinds of feats she had accomplished (according to rumors), did they fear apprehending her directly wouldn't be successful and might even result in multiple casualties, so they decided to arrest aka kidnap her important family members to threaten her into coming willingly? Was this why not a single agent had visited him and Lottie after throwing them here? Were they out arresting Yor!?