Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

 The pain was unbelievable.

I'd never felt anything so awful before and instantly understood why Theo had screamed so loud. It was something that even the harshest masochist could not comprehend, let alone enjoy.

Every part of me was in pain. I felt as if all my bones were breaking, shattering. I felt like my head was going to explode, like my skin was melting away, my blood boiling like the stomach acids of Ammut. I couldn't even scream. My mouth opened, but no sound escaped. My eyes opened wide and I felt the tears burning my eyes before evaporating.

I screwed my eyes shut after a moment, gritting my teeth and then it hit me, my eyes flying open.

My teeth. I could feel them clenching, the muscles in my body tensed in pain. I felt the weight of Epimetheus' soul slowly be sucked away from on top of me. I almost cried out in joy. I barely paid any attention to the throbbing pain of the beatings that Hades had dealt to my physical form.

I blinked once and looked at Hades, watching him step back as he gripped something blindingly bright in the palm of his hand. He narrowed his eyes at the thing, clenching his fist. Epimetheus' soul screamed in pain and crackled like fire before sizzling. Hades glanced up at me, eyes hardly pleased. I shuddered as I settled my soul back into place.

My body still ached and throbbed, but I could move my fingers and flex my muscles on my own accord. I almost sighed in relief, when I remembered that Hades was glaring at me. I stiffened, staring at him as he watched me. He gripped Epimetheus' soul so tight that it sizzled again, as if preparing to shatter.

"I had you chosen because you knew how dire it was to make sure that my sons remain alive and well," Hades told me icily, lifting his head higher than mine so he could look down at me as if I were a dog that severely displeased him, "You have made one mistake so far. This had better be your last. You are to protect Theo with your very life. If that means you have to tell him no once in a while, then do so. Because if Theo dies due to your negligence, I assure you that I will have no more mercy where you're concerned."

"Yes, my lord." I replied, grimacing at the pain in my nose. I reached up to touch it, but Hades wasn't finished scolding me, so I instantly dropped my hand to my side, clearing my throat as Hades continued.

"Now stop wasting my time. I have a soul to shackle. Go inside and take care of my son. Immediately." Hades ordered, then vanished in a sharp blast of smoke, making me grimace as it burned my eyes. I reached up to wipe them before I struggled to walk across the clearing to the gaping hole in the side of the palace that led to Theo's room.

Inside, his brothers seemed to be recovering slowly-- at least enough to stand. Adrian and Abel had reppeared in the room, both of them helping Malachi out into the room. Noe stuck close to Zelios, watching him with a pitifully worried look on his face as Zelios reassured him that he was all right. Hannibal looked like he was ready to reach out and catch Cain, who stumbled every so often, but fought hard to walk on his own. Kyros was helping Charon, supporting him on one side. They looked up and saw me, stiffening for a moment before I managed to find my voice.

"Where is Lord Theo?" I asked. Adrian visibly relaxed at my tone of voice and pointed to the doorway of the bathroom where Cerberus was walking out, struggling, with Theo in his arms. Theo was still pale as a sheet, but he seemed mostly conscious now as he muttered for Cerberus to put him down, earning a dirty look from Leon, who dutifully walked by Cerberus' side.

"Shut up, shortstuff," Cerberus grunted, rolling his tongue around in his mouth for a moment before spitting a glob of blood to the side before looking back down at Theo, who glared at him in disgust, "Besides, I won't be hauling your ass for long. Your lap dog's back and he's practically wagging his tail to see you." Theo blinked and tilted his head to look at me, surprised as I approached slowly, carefully. He looked at me suspiciously.