Chapter 1 - Starting Over

When he arrived at the Placidium, Kayn didn't know what to expect, but it wasn't what he saw. He was used to cold glares from others, having spent most of his life in Noxus, but he wasn't used to receiving cold glares from her.

"Hey," he casually strode up to the girl, who grimaced even harsher at him with every step he took, ignoring the chattering of their classmates around them.

"Do I know you?" she asked, before he pulled back a chair and took a seat next to her. Upon hearing her words, he felt his breath catch in his lungs. "It couldn't be, could it?"

Kayn let out a small laugh, choking on something bitter, before looking back at her, "do you know me? You tell me."

"Unless I've hit my head, no, I don't," she stated.

"So she doesn't remember me..."

He sighed at her response and crossed his arms over his chest, "still, it seems like you at least know of me. You know, your school's higher-ups really know how to respect someone's privacy."

"We don't take kindly towards outsiders," her voice was low and threatening, and he felt the tiniest bit of warmth seep out of his body.

"Ha, so I was right, not like it could be any different," he slumped back in the chair dejectedly, paying no mind to the teacher, who had just walked inside the room,
"explains why everyone's been glaring holes in me all morning."

The girl next to him had seemed to take notice, though, "and what the hell are you still doing here? Who are you to think you can sit here?"

"I'm the emperor I can do what I want," he sniggered emptily, in a vague attempt to cover up the void feeling in his chest, as resignation started to slowly seep within his heart.

"Right. As if someone as lowly as you could be an emperor," she scoffed, and his heart clenched.

"I'll prove it to you soon enough," he protested.

"All this bullshit aside, you should really leave."

"As if," Kayn laughed.

"Yeah, no. You're stuck here with me, now." he was met with Akali's annoyed expression.

"Way to go, now she's mad."

"You'll regret this," she stated, and simply went back to taking notes.

"Whatever you say, Teth." Kayn muttered, and the girl looked back at him in shock.

"How do you know my name?" she blurted out loud and got shushed by the professor.

"It was on your notebook, smartass." Kayn replied and looked away from her face, not able to focus on the lesson, just the view outside and the thoughts in his mind.

"Really, if even you don't remember me, then this place is going to be literal hell on Earth," he thought as an old memory faded in his mind.

There were just the two of them there, in an old playground. He and the same girl, who was now sitting next to him in the classroom, though not nearly as happy as on that day he still remembered.

In the memory, he was alone, seated on the side of the sandbox, before he saw his friend running up to him. Her spiky hair bounced behind her as she ran.

"Kaaaayn!" she shouted, as she clutched her dirty poro plushie close to her chest.

"Teth! What took you so long?" Kayn jumped off the ledge, slightly losing balance, and ran towards her.

"I'm sorry. Mom said I had to stay longer today, but she promised me a biiiiig lollipop as payment!" she swayed happily.

"We still can play emperors though, right? Right?" his eyes sparkled in anticipation.