Chapter 7

Silence.

No one dared say a word. The group sat quietly and waited for someone to say something. All while not wanting to be the first to speak. After about an hour of silence, slowly everyone began to get up and head to bed. I laid down on the couch and tried my best to sleep.

The early morning sun lit the room. I walked around the bottom floor of the house, but I was seemingly the only person up so far. Reliving last night in my head over and over. Part of me could not believe it had happened, as if it was a dream. I waited for someone else to come down the stairs, but no one did after waiting half an hour.

It felt unreal, the events of last night. But they had to be real. The memories were vivid and detailed, unlike a dream that fades. I had to look. The curiosity and uncertainty were killing me.

I walked up the stairs and turned down the hall. His name was written across the door on a small rectangular sign. Opening the door and peered in. I don't know what I was expecting. Maybe Damien? Maybe a sign of what happened? But nothing seemed to be too different. The room was a bit messy but nothing worse than yesterday morning.

Looking around felt wrong, and I felt like I was invading Damien's personal space. I turned to leave when I saw a small white feather lying on the floor. I picked it up and looked at it carefully. It was bright white, still, and looking at the end, there appeared to be a small amount of dried blood on the tip. I left the room carrying the feather in my hand.

I closed the door, but I heard a voice as I did.

"You doing ok?" Rylie said, "Do you wanna talk about it?"

I turned to face her. "I don't know," I said.

She turned her head, gesturing for me to come downstairs. I followed her and took a seat on the couch, she sat on the loveseat.

"I think I know how you feel," She said. "It's a lot to take in, and you are probably a little confused, maybe a little scared."

I sighed. "It doesn't feel real. I was just talking to him yesterday, and everything was going to be alright."

"Everything is going to be alright. Things recently have been bleak, but sometimes life can be," Rylie said softly. "We just have to keep moving, and it's what Damien would have done."

"But what happens now?" I asked. "What happens after we finish changing? Do we just continue like nothing happened? Just pretend everything is fine?"

"You can't pretend it never happened, but you also can't let it keep you from living," Rylie said. "I know it sounds easy, but I've been through it four times now. I can tell you it isn't, but we have to do it."

"Do you think he's still in there?" I asked. "Is his mind still in his body?"

"Lyall," She said," I wish I could tell you. Maybe he is still in control. Maybe he's gone. I don't know, and no one really knows."

"But do you think it's still him?" I asked again.

Rylie sighed. "Maybe. I just don't know."

We could hear a thudding down the stairs. We both looked over to see Benji at the foot of the stairs. He walked towards us, his feet tapping with every step. His face was void of any emotion. He sat down without a word on the couch next to me.

"You feeling ok, Benji?" Rylie asked.

Benji opened his mouth but hesitated to speak. "Yeah"

"Do you want to talk about it?" Rylie asked him.

"No, I'm good," Benji replied.

"Are you sure? You can tell me anything, Benji," Rylie said.

Benji turned to face her and said sternly, "No."