Movie Night

When she walked in she should not have been as surprised as she was by the stares. In Detroit, female police officers were common or in bigger towns in general. No woman in Hawkins apparently had it in them (except Joyce perhaps, she seemed that type of woman), to take up such dangerous of task.

  Jim Hopper, head chief of police seemed nice enough and his partners, as they gave her a tour and of her new office.

"We should have a few cases comin' up soon, it's a small town you know and kids here tend to get bored real fast. Matter of fact that house you rented, the old Richardson house? Caught a couple of yahoos spray paintin' the outside." Calvin Powell stated.

  "I thought there was some of that...one of my twin daughters, Catori insisted someone could have been murdered there. She's a bit on the morbid side." A light chuckle escaped, as she glanced about her office space nodding in approval.

  It was spacious. Much better than her old one. A bigger oak desk, a chair that had no rips or tears in it.

"Whatever happened to that kid anyway? Joyce Byers told me he went missing?"

Hopper leant up against her desk, shaking his head. "No one knows. It was strange, one minute he's out in the backyard, normal eight-year old kid playin' and the next mom comes out to tell him dinner's done, she can't find him. We found some foot prints on the property...but they only led, to his body in the woods."

Helona suppressed a shudder. Unable to imagine what that feeling must be like, the not knowing for days, weeks. Every time she came home from work, even if they were busy with school work or whatever, she hugged her kids tight.

"Poor woman," she muttered. "Was the person ever caught?"

Calvin gave a grim shake of his head. "Looked for that bastard for two years. Never found a single trace of him or her."

Their conversation was quick to change, when another fellow walked by shooting them a warning look while smiling politely at Helona, greeting her. No other mention of the Richardson boy. That was the end of that.

Hopper wondered. She could tell by his ever-thoughtful expression, but not wanting to cause a stir on her first day she kept silent for the time being.

~********~

   Science class took place around one pm, the library packed with students. Barbra talked animatedly next to him in between studying about this new horror film that came out, Pet Sematary by the king of horror Stephen King. "So...you wanna go see it?" she asked. "It looks super freaky."

"I'm not a big fan of horror honestly, more of a Lord of the Rings type of guy." Carlian replied.

Barb's mouth formed an 'O' shape of understanding, raising a teasing brow. "Isn't that about big footed people walking?"

A scoff escaped his lips, readying his notes. "Excuse you: It has elves who are awesome archers. They can hit an ogre from like, Mount Rushmore to Vietnam."

"Your geographically challenge is showing." Barb giggled, earning a light laugh from Carlian. "Your sisters are adorable by the way, I saw them when we walked out yesterday in your mom's car."

"Kateri and Catori? I guess. They're nothing but imps if you ask me."

A hand clapped his shoulder. Lips brushed against his ear mouthing 'boo!' just enough for Carlian to almost fall out of his chair. Barb shot a snickering Steve Harrington one of her warning looks, as he laughed the way Carlian held a hand to his chest. "Not funny Harrington, I almost had a heart attack." He huffed.