15

"Hey, Jack! Where's Fred?"

"Oh, he wasn't feeling too well! I think he's got that horrible cold I had. But don't worry about him, he's all tucked up in bed."

Bucky didn't come home that night, nor did he come back to the house that morning. Fred and Jack's pristine image meant that y/n couldn't even call around to check if he was staying with a neighbour. He was just gone, and it was all y/n's fault.

Y/n hadn't slept. He'd spent the whole night pacing in his bedroom, unable to wipe the look of betrayal on his husband's face out of his mind. He had beaten himself up over every single word that had come out of his mouth, yet he knew that he couldn't tell him the truth. Telling him the truth meant that y/n would have to face the truth too, and he couldn't bring himself to do that. Not now, not ever. He was protecting Bucky by not telling him the truth, right?

Today was the fundraiser. So, despite y/n's mind whirring at a thousand miles per minute, he had to put on his happy face and become Jack.

He'd left the house before Wanda woke up, not having the time or energy to speak to her at the moment. Y/n knew he had to interrogate her at some point, but he just wanted one day of feeling slightly normal.

The entire town had gathered for the fundraiser. Stalls full of food, games, and little trinkets lined the main square, joyful music played from their live band, and the sound of children giggling as they chased each other filled the air. The children racing reminded y/n of something, yet he couldn't quite put his finger on it, so he decided to ignore it. Everything was perfect. Completely perfect.

Y/n was currently handing out the free cupcakes Agnes had made, a joyful grin on his face as he kept a delicate hold on the tray. His knitted yellow vest was a staple piece as y/n kept himself busy, greeting every person he made eye contact with. He was desperate to keep himself busy, not wanting to think about the fact that his husband had walked out on him just last night. However, a careful tap to the shoulder caused adrenaline to course through his body.

"Jack? Can we talk?"

It was Wanda.

She needed to talk to y/n about everything going on. She had to put a stop to everything as soon as possible. Wanda didn't want to make a scene in front of everyone, nor did she want to be the one to shut everything down. But the only way that wasn't going to happen was if y/n talked to her. Of course it was bad timing, from the argument last night to the 'perfect' fundraiser currently happening, but Wanda didn't have a choice.

Y/n didn't turn around at the sound of Wanda's voice. He didn't even acknowledge the woman as he continued to walk around. "Cupcake?" He cooed sweetly as his shoulder was tapped once again, offering out his tray of cupcakes to a happy couple.

Wanda frowned, following y/n like a lost puppy throughout the fundraiser. She kept trying to get his attention, whether it be by tapping his shoulder, or trying to stand in front of him. But, every time she did, y/n either didn't react, or he simply turned around so that Wanda wasn't in his eyeline anymore. She was being blatantly ignored, and it was annoying her.

Wanda was trying so hard not to make a scene. She was trying so hard to fit in with the happy town. Hell, she'd even dressed in time-appropriate attire. The fact that y/n was ignoring her was downright rude. He could've at least had the courtesy to blast her out of Westview like he did to Geraldine, but no. Instead, he'd decided to embarrass Wanda. "Jack-"

"Cupcake?" Y/n repeated, completely cutting Wanda off. It was obvious he was getting irritated. His movements had become aggressive and rigid, solely focused on avoiding the woman behind him. Y/n wanted a few hours of normality. A few hours. After that he was happy to talk to Wanda. But not right now. Wanda was embarrassing him. Wanda was ruining the happy fundraiser.

Wanda bugged y/n for almost fifteen minutes. Fifteen minutes of shoulder tapping, calling his name, and staying hot at his heels. And, needless to say, the pair were continuously getting angrier and angrier at one another. It didn't take long for both of them to reach their breaking points.

Wanda was first to snap, keeping a smile painted on her face as she grabbed y/n's arm. It wasn't a gentle grip, it was bruising. She didn't want to follow him around anymore. She didn't want to be ignored anymore. Despite him not turning around, Wanda knew she had y/n's attention. She knew by the fact that y/n had completely frozen. "Y/n-"

That was all Wanda could get out before y/n snapped.

Being called his real name, even in a whisper, wasn't allowed. Only Bucky was allowed to do that.

Y/n yanked his arm out of Wanda's grip, handing the empty cupcake tray over to Agnes before he made a beeline toward the church. It was a walk that Wanda knew far too well, and it was a walk that let Wanda know that she was in trouble. It was his 'Hydra walk'. Y/n was seething. Wanda had hit a nerve she wasn't allowed to hit.

She swallowed hard, standing still for a few moments before she finally decided to follow y/n. Just seeing that walk sent a chill down her spine. That walk always led to danger, and Wanda had no choice but to follow him. To follow her into a place where it would just be them. Nobody else to protect him.

*****

Wanda was only a few steps away from y/n as they walked into the church, practically holding her breath as she prepared to be attacked. But, nothing happened. Y/n didn't even turn around until the church door clicked shut. And when he did, he had a mixture of desperate and furious tears in his eyes.

"What do you want from me, Wanda?! Do you want me to bring Vision back? Because I can do that! I can do that right fucking now. Just say the word."