ISSUE #20

With a blue flash of light, and a poof of black smoke, Thanos disappeared. Wanda Maximoff was weeping over her lover's corpse as (Y/N) stumbled towards her. 'Wanda,' he let out, reaching out to console her. Just as his hand made contact with her shoulder, something happened, something fortuitous. Her body seemed to disintegrate under his touch. She turned to face him one last time, tears spilling down her cheeks before her face, along with her body, turned to ash.

'(Y/N),' James Barnes called at him, falling to the ground, '(Y/N), I don't feel well.' (Y/N) (L/N) rushed to him, heaving him onto his lap and holding him tightly.

'It's going to be alright,' (Y/N) told him, his whole body trembling. His eyes darted around at the scene unfolding around him. King T'Challa held a hand out towards Okoye. His lips were moving, but (Y/N) didn't get a chance to hear what he had to say before he too turned to dust. 'You're going to be fine, Buck.' There were tears threatening to spill from his eyes now. 'Steve,' he shouted for help, choking, 'Steve!'

Steve Rogers just looked at him helplessly, a pained look painted across his pale face. '(Y/N),' said Bucky, holding onto his cheek and pulling his face down to look him in the eyes. In that moment, looking into James Barnes's blue eyes as he held him in his arms, (Y/N) felt as though he'd taken the past few months for granted.

He hadn't told Sergeant Barnes how much he truly adored him half the amount of times he should have. He'd failed to take advantage of Bucky's innate loving nature. Every morning he'd gotten up early for work instead of stealing time and spending a few more moments in bed with the man he loved, he now absolutely regretted.

'(Y/N),' Bucky's soothing voice drew his attention. His eyes snapped onto Bucky's, tears now automatically falling from his bloodshot eyes, streaming down his cheeks.

'I love you, Buck,' was all he could say, the words catching in the back of his throat, 'I'm sorry.'

'I love...'

As quickly as they had settled into their perfect life, it was stolen away.

The man in (Y/N) (L/N)'s arms, the man he'd spent so long waiting for, turned to dust; a fine ash which was picked up by the slight breeze.

The doctor sobbed, digging the tips of his fingers into the ground in an attempt to stabilise himself as he bent over the site where he'd lost so much. Feelings of loss and sorrow soon turned to anguish, heartache, and pure rage. He felt his whole body turn hot, the dirt in which his hands had dug themselves into disappeared as bright crimson energy surrounded his fingers. (Y/N) felt it burn as it spread up his back, suffocating him.

'(Y/N)?' He heard Steve Rogers say from behind him. Dr (L/N) stood up, throwing Steve back about ten feet through the air. Seeing the pain he'd just caused his friend only hurt him more. He howled in pure, unadulterated, grief as his knees buckled and he dropped to the floor, slamming his fists against the ground.

Red energy rippled from the point of impact, everyone surrounding him covered their eyes, crouching down to avoid the shockwaves. The mist rose around them, obscuring their sight. And when the crimson fog finally dissipated, they were all left in a state of shock and confusion.

(Y/N) (L/N) was nowhere to be seen.