Chapter 3

∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

The classroom was enormous, almost as big as the dining hall, which meant a few spacial amplifying wards must be around somewhere, because it was way bigger than it should be. If you went by the size of the tower from the outside, it should be smaller than a regular classroom.

The room was fully stocked. Books lined the side wall from floor to ceiling. Four rows of three mahogany desks, like the one in the duty headmaster's office, filled the front of the classroom. Behind them were five sets of sofas and armchairs around coffee tables. Eight students loitered around the desks, grouped in twos and threes. I didn't see Sasha at first, but I could feel him and his crisp scent tickled my nose. He was lounging on a sofa at the back of the room, with the goddess and a couple of other students.

"You lost, mongrel?"

Unfortunately, I recognised that voice. It was Cockhead—my new pet name for Coop—from this morning.

"Or are you stalking me already?" Cockhead placed his hand over his heart. "I know it's hard to get over me, but sorry, I just couldn't sully myself with your human taint."

The male winter student next to him snickered.

I suppressed a sigh. It had been nine years since I'd dealt with the prejudice against the half-breeds. Nine blissful years living at the academy. Turned out the best thing my mother had ever done was get rid of me. But when I had lived at court, I'd found it best to ignore the loud mouths, because reacting to them let them know they got to you.

I spotted a seating chart posted at the front, and with my dragon eyesight, I could read the small script perfectly from ten meters away. My desk was in the last row, left corner, farthest from the teacher's. That could be a bane or a boon. Only time would tell.

"Hey, mongrel. Is there something wrong with your hearing or can't you speak?"

The goddess glided over, like she was in fast forward, and whacked Coop over the head.

Coop cowered and rubbed his head, messing up his dark shoulder length locks. "Fuck, Angie. What'd you do that for?"

"We were told to be on best behaviour, remember?" Angie said.

Coop pouted. "There are no teachers around."

"And what if she tells someone?"

So, the goddess wasn't my champion. She was just protecting her friend, and I couldn't fault her for it. I made my way around the edge of the class, scanning the students. Picking out Henry easily by his bright red hair and Willard slumping next to him with his mousey blond locks. I identified three spring court dragons, by their almost white hair and vivid green eyes. Which meant if they counted me, there were an equal amount of winters and summers. Although, I doubted my summer cousins would count me.

I rounded the last desk, which was empty. All three in the last row were as was the one in front of mine. I plopped my almost empty bag on the desk and plonked into the plush brown leather chair and spun around. There were three drawers on both sides and the surface gleamed like it had been freshly polished.

"Oi. What the hell are you doing, mongrel?" Coop stood in front of my desk with his hands on his hips.

The goddess, Angie, parked herself at the one right of mine, watching with interest.

"What does it look like?" I asked.

He blinked. "Like you're making yourself at home."

"Then, you'd be right." I spun again. I could get used to this.