Chapter 7 Part I

♛♛♛♕♕♕♚♚♚♛♛♛♕♕♕♚♚♚♛♛♛♕♕♕♚♚♚♛♛♛♕♕♕♚♚♚

I woke up early and waited in the courtyard for Bay and Gin. We met here every morning. The minutes ticked by and students streamed past, most of them staring as they did.

Yup, everyone knows who I am now. Fantastic.

"Ah, Miss Summerfall, there you are." Professor Fallen strode towards me. "I've been looking all over for you. I thought you'd be at the dining hall with your friends."

"My friends?" I asked, standing.

His silver eyes glinted in the morning light. "Mr. Whitefang and Miss Greenleaf, but no matter."

My heart shrivelled in my chest. That meant Bri and Bay had snuck out the back entrance and purposely taken the long way to avoid me this morning.

Was this going to break us apart? I know Gin had every right to be angry, but... weren't friends supposed to forgive each other? We'd never fought before, because I usually did everything possible to avoid conflict.

"Come." Professor Fallen waved me over. "We've been called to the headmaster's office."

My shoulders sagged. "What about?"

His slim eyebrows rose. "You've been charged with attacking the summer students from year five, class one."

The accusation didn't surprise me in the least. In all honesty, I should've expected it, but I'd spent the whole night worrying about how to make up with Gin and Baylan. It would be my word against the pure-bloods, and my word had never counted for much in the summer court. It had here, because the headmaster wasn't biased, but would he stick his neck out for a bastard against other pure-bloods?

"Miss Summerfall, hurry, please. We don't want to be late," Professor Fallen motioned me forward.

"Yes, professor." My shoulders sagged.

He whirled, his silky blue robes flaring out, and marched for the admin building. I trailed him inside, and trudged up the stairs. An oppressive feeling of dread increased with every step I took.

Jeran greeted us with a brilliant smile. "Good morning Professor Fallen, and lovely to see you again Briana. It feels like old times." He winked.

I dipped my head, but couldn't summon enough energy to smile in return. This was a nightmare I couldn't awaken from. First, Henry comes back into my life. Then, Gin and Bay won't even speak to me, and the whole school finds out my mother's identity. Fear slithered into my heart. Now, I was facing an accusation severe enough to get me expelled, by summer pure-bloods who I'd never won against in my life. My haven was crumbling around me.

Jeran's smile dropped and concern flittered across his features. "Please, go in. The Year Five Class One Professor and students are with the headmaster inside."

Professor Fallen inclined his head and strode toward the doors. "Come along, Miss Summerfall." His tone was clipped. He hadn't exactly been welcoming yesterday, so even if he was my homeroom teacher, I doubted he would be my champion.

I took a deep breath and stepped inside a room I was familiar with, having been called here numerous times during my first few years. But none of them, even added together, were as terrifying as this. The summer pureblood wielded power like a knife, cutting down anything or one that stood in their way.

Headmaster Springdon sat behind his enormous marble desk that was larger than an eight seater dining table. His thin lips were pressed into a slight frown and his white brows were tensed into a straight line. Seated in three chairs, before him, and with their backs to us, were two boys from last night. A faint pulse of heat prickled my flesh and I froze mid-step. A torrid of old memories crashed through my mind, and I shuddered. It couldn't be could it? But every dragon had their own power signature and I'd never met anyone with as rancid a signature as my older minder. I stared at the woman in the third chair. Dressed in a blue robe with her golden hair coiled into a tight bun.