Chapter 32

Greenwood T.A 2048

         I was admiring the view from the balcony in Thranduil's room as the sun slowly began its ascend over the top of the trees in the far distance

         I was admiring the view from the balcony in Thranduil's room as the sun slowly began its ascend over the top of the trees in the far distance. The silence and solitude I usually found here had already become a morning tradition after Thranduil left me in the mornings before I would have to leave for my own duties, which there were none of today.

I had just completed a series of nightshifts that had ended this morning before dawn. For once I had gotten back before Thranduil woke up, which he usually did around dawn. I had climbed in under the sheets after i had shred my uniform. He hadn't been entirely satisfied with me when I settled at his side and wrapped my arms around him because I had apparently been a little cold from being outside all night.

But in the end, he was still glad to see me. He had pressed a kiss to my temple, waking up due to my presence and rousing himself from sleeps heavy grasp. He had looked utterly exhausted when his eyes met mine and I knew he hadn't been sleeping for long. Properly only for a few hours if I had to guess. It had become more frequent these days because, either his tasks, or our constant need to be beside each other, kept him up during the nights. I had been tired as well, felt a fatigue I had seldom felt but I wouldn't have it any other way. I relished in the attention Thranduil gave me, loved the constant affection he showered me with.

He had initiated another ruffle in the sheets that morning before he left me in the early minutes after dawn. I had been exhausted and wasn't able to remain awake for much longer after he left the bed. Sleep had claimed me almost instantly and I hadn't heard him leave, but when I woke up, he was gone and the sun almost cleared the trees in the distance, soon reaching the highest point on the sky. I had lingered in the bed for a few minutes before rising. I dressed and escaped out onto the balcony to watch the sun climb higher, while enjoying the silence. I knew it wasn't many hours of sleep I had gotten but decided it was best not to sleep any longer, because I would not be able to sleep again tonight.

I spent as much time as I could out here before turning back into the room. The sun reaching midday now. It had only been a few weeks since Mereth-en-Gillith, but the winds had turned much colder. Still there were no snow, though a few times a fine layer of snow had dusted over the forest, not to remain but to remind that winter was coming. All that lingered was the season's decay, that had claimed the once lush autumn foliage. The trees stood bare, dark with decay before the new season would claim the land. I shivered when a cool breeze shifted through the trees and into the room I was standing in.

Before sleep had claimed me completely after Thranduil had left the bed, I had in my haze still noted how reluctant he had been to leave because he dreaded a particular meeting with Agenor he was needed at. But it wasn't just him, it was a few other councilors he didn't name, while cursing their constant nagging. They seemed to get on his nerves much more than normal lately, his mood had become fouler with each day that passed, though he never deliberately showed it to me.