♟Addiction♟

"Desmond King,"

Desmond stared the man down in front of him who'd rung the doorbell to his home. He held his sleeping daughter in arms. Whoever the man was, security let him through, and Desmond was highly annoyed.

"Who's asking?"

"Mr. King, my name is Detective Jeffery Hughes. I wanted to speak with you about an important matter."

Desmond nodded his head and hummed a response, "Hang on." He shut the door before returning moments later. He opened it to hand the man a business card, "Call my attorney." He stated simply.

"Mr King, I really need to speak with you—," the detective tried to reason before being cut off.

"Attorney." Desmond repeated before closing the door in the man's face. He dug his hand into his pockets to take out his cell phone.

"Who was at the door?" Jaden asked, when she came out of their office, and stood at the top of the stairs.

"Some kids selling magazines or something." Desmond lied.

"In this heat? That's crazy." Jaden rolled her eyes, "I wonder how they got through security." She said, coming down the stairs.

"Ion know, but imma call them about that, can you put Destiny in her crib for me?"

Desmond stepped out of the house and pulled out his phone. "Hello," someone who sounded no older than 18 picked up the call, from the security post.

"First of all, this isn't your personal phone. Second, Why do I have uninvited guests showing up at my door." Desmond demanded.

I-I'm sorry sir. He flashed a badge—"

"What's your name?" Desmond cut the guy off.

"D-Denim, sir." The boy stuttered.

"Like jeans?"

"Yes sir."

"Go home, Denim." Desmond said plainly.

"Please Mr. King, I didn't know..." his scared voice trailed off.

"It's fine. Just go home." Desmond hung up. He could tell this person had no idea who he was working for. He didn't know where his security was finding these guys they were hiring lately. This was the second guy Desmond was firing in a matter of months.

He immediately called his security lead, "Godfrey, where are you finding these guys?" He asked before his security lead could even properly greet him.

"Apologies Sir. Do I need to send someone else up there."

"Yes. You know my wife and I are going out of town in a few weeks and I need to be sure my home is good while we're away. I don't need no bullshit," he huffed into the phone.

"Understood." The man replied before hanging up.

Desmond sighed, shoving the phone into his pocket. Cops sniffing around his clean home was the last thing he needed. He'd been out the game for months so he couldn't figure out why the hell they wanted to talk to him now. Considering his old lifestyle, he knew it could mean trouble, so he decided to not tell his wife to truth about their visitor, especially right before her birthday trip.

Before Desmond could go back in the house his phone began to ring in his pocket. It was his attorney.

"Speak to me Paul," he picked up.

"Mr. King, let's go to lunch."

"Of course. What are you hungry for?"

"Little Havana."

Desmond looked at his watch, and knew he needed to leave now, so he'd be home in time for dinner before his wife started getting suspicious.

"I'll be there" he hung up.

"Desmond, you know I don't like to say I told you so, but that bill you picked up a few months ago, its increasing." Desmond's attorney, Paul Haun took a sip from his drink before continuing, "They've reached out to local police trying to see how long they have to still possibly press charges because you're not responding. Detective Hughes is a good guy. Work acquaintances and all that jazz, so when he heard my clients name being dropped in his station, he tried to reach out to you himself, before they actually went forward with anything."

Desmond shook his head. He'd been keeping a secret from Jaden. He'd been paying her junkie mother to stay away. When Reggie told Cassandra who Jaden was married to, they started threatening Desmond with assault charges.

Desmond would've had to them both killed if it wasn't his wife's own blood. He was getting to the point to where he might have to tell her the truth.

"So I need to make a new friend," Desmond sighed.

"It wouldn't be the worst idea, but you'll be alright. They're trying to extort you which is illegal and they don't have the money for legal counsel so you're good. Don't pay them another dime."

Desmond sighed. He had hoped he could keep Cassandra under his thumb so that if Jaden ever wanted to try to reconcile again, it would be easier. He had to accept reality.

Addicts will always chose addiction over everything.

♟•••••♟