01.00

Stepping onto the old base felt like nostalgia for Poppy. Taking off her shades, she breathes in the salty air. She smiles at the sight of the planes and the officers scattered across the runway. It's been a while since she saw this base.

"Engr. Poppy Mitchell." 

She hears someone call her name. Turning around, she sees a tall, muscular black man looking at her; she notices his name tag and medals.

"Admiral Bates."  She greets as she approaches the man. 

"Please, Warlock." He said, sticking his hand out for a shake.

"Then Poppy, Sir." She shakes it in return. 

"Great, This way, Poppy." He said, leading her towards one of the hangars

"Yes, sir."

"I expect you have been debriefed on your role for this detachment."

"Read some of it in disbelief, sir."

"Well, better start believing it." He said, stopping before the metal door. He turns back to her and smiles. He opened the door and inside took Poppy's breath away.

"Welcome back to Top Gun, Engineer Mitchell."

Eye-Wide, she stepped inside the hangar to see six f-19 fighter jet planes lined up. These jets weren't feasible a few years ago, yet she is, looking at the very impossible thing. The jets looked unreal in her eyes. Sleeker, slimmer, and smaller than any jet she came across. 

"Holy Shit."

"I know; she's a beauty."  Another voice chimes, joining the Admiral and Poppy. 

Turning around, she sees an older man, must be the senior engineer. 

"Engr. Kowalski." Poppy hears Admiral Bates great the old man. 

"Admiral." Kowalski nodded in greeting before turning to Poppy. 

"This is Poppy Mitchell, your Chief Aircraft Maintenance Engineer for this detachment. Poppy, this is Harry Kowalski, your Senior Engineer." Warlock introduces. 

"Hello, sir." Poppy greeted, nodding slightly towards the man. 

"Our genius from MIT, am I correct?"

"Can't say genius, but I am from MIT, sir." She said humbly, a little flustered by what the engineer said. 

 "Your father is Captain Pete Mitchell. Maverick, yes?" He said, giving her an eye smile, making her nervous.

"Yes, sir."

"I remember him, quite a handful he was. Stealing the jets from the hangar without permission."

"I- Um... Apologies, Sir?" 

Poppy tries to apologize to him, flustered. Nevertheless, the engineer starts laughing before giving her a reassuring pat on her shoulder. 

"Don't be; he saved my kid's life once."

She lets out a huge sigh and a big smile. Despite his rebellious reputation, she is proud of what her dad has accomplished throughout the years. Kowalski smiles at his new co-worker before ushering her toward the jet planes. 

"C'mere, kid, let's introduce you to the crew."

>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<>~<

After meeting the entire crew, Poppy checked the control system of an F-18 with Butter, her second in command for the detachment.

"So you know what this detachment is about?" Poppy asks curiously, turning to Butter. 

"I don't know; it's hella classified for sure." They respond before handing her the screwdriver. 

"Damn." She muttered, wondering what kind of mess she got into before bending into the system.

"Place them over here!" Poppy heard shouting from the gates, popping her head out. Butter and her turn to see about six F-18s brought into the hangar. 

"Holy shit. How many pilots are going to be brought in for this?"

"Twelve, to be exact."

"I thought you didn't know about this detachment." Poppy raises an eyebrow at her companion before handing the screwdriver back. 

"It's in the file, Chief." They replied, taking the tool before pausing and turning to her.

"You have read the file, right?"

"Only the interesting parts."

She hears Butter scoff before passing her a power drill.

"Our leader, everyone, Don't I feel safer already."

Poppy laughs at them before it dies down to see about two more F-18s enter the hangar. 

"Shit, how many routine check-ups are we going to do today?"

"Well, Half of the team arrived at 09:00 this morning; we expect the remaining at 12:00 later."

Poppy lets out a groan, it was only 11:00 am, and they were doing maintenance on 1 jet so far. It's going to be a long day, she thought, drilling back the metal frame in the cockpit. She hands Butter the power drill when she finishes, waits for them to drop down, and follows ensuite. Stowing up the ladder of the jet, giving it a light pat, she noticed the name of the pilot who owns the F-18.

'Lt. Jake Seresin. Hangman'  was imprinted on the side of the jet. Shrugging, she didn't think much of it. She barely meets any aviators on duty unless they have jet trouble. 

"I hope whoever is in charge isn't an asshole." She muttered before heading towards the other jet. 

She hears Butter laugh at her, turning to her, confused.

"What?"

"Your funny." They said, chuckling before placing the toolbox on the wing of the following jet they will perform maintenance on. 

"Uh, What?" If there was a joke ongoing, she didn't understand the joke at all. She stops by the base of the plane. Butter stops laughing, realizing that she's serious.

"You don't know, do you?"

"Know what?"

"Well, shit Chief."

"Butters?"

"It's your dad, Captain Pete Mitchell. Maverick. He's the instructor." Butter said, pointing at the name plastered on the next jet they would look at. Turning, she sees her dad's name in bold white letters.

'Cap Pete Mitchell. Maverick'

"Son of a bitch."