Final Chapter

{ To who's reading this book, you can play the music when i give you the signal to, okay? Thanks!! 💖

- or just play it. I cant tell you what to do- 🤷🏽}

“Tell me what’s going on.”

 Nothing’s going on!”

“Then why have you been acting so weird?”

“I haven’t!”

John Adams crossed his arms, giving his friend a stern look. Thomas sat on the side of his bed, sword in his hands. John had gotten word from the other representatives about his friend’s strange behavior. Thomas had been happy to see him when the man came to his Monticello Estate, but was taken back when their friendly chat turned into an interrogation.

“Benjamin said you haven’t gone to work all week.” John continued. “Hell, they’re saying you haven’t left your Estate for half a month now!”

“I’m fine, alright?!” Thomas continued, keeping his eyes on his weapon, hands tightening around the golden handle. “I just… haven’t been feeling very well, that’s all.”

John’s expression turned to one of sympathy. He walked forward a few steps, until he was standing beside the bed. He sat down next to his friend, who continued staring at the sword he held so tightly.

“Tom, you know you can tell me anything, right? I’m your best friend, I can tell when something’s wrong.” His voice was soft and understanding. He placed a gentle hand on Tom's shoulder, making the redhead flinch at the sudden touch. “Did something happen during the fight on Benedict's ship?”

Thomas's eyes screwed shut.

It had been a couple of weeks days since the incident. John and the other fathers had been horrified at the boy's state when they were found. But George and him had managed to convince them that they’d simply got in a fight with the armed soldiers. It had worked, at least for the time being.

They won the battle. It should’ve been a successful mission, a time to celebrate the end of America's pitiful and embarrassing defeat after defeat routine, and the reconnection between John and his family.

But it wasn’t. It couldn’t be any further from happy, to the two that experienced what they had.

Thomas hadn’t even looked at George since the moment they left that chamber. John had heard it right. He’d hardly left his plantation since they’d returned to Philadelphia. Sneaking out of his house late at night to drink at the local bar. But even then, he found that he didn’t have much of an appetite for alcohol anyways.

“Nothing happened.” He finally replied.

John shook his head.

“Well, that’s convincing.” He remarked sarcastically. “You don’t lose fights, Tom. And even if you did, something else happened to you, I know it did. You looked like you’d just seen a ghost when I found you guys!”

Thomas sighed, relaxing slightly and loosening his grip on the golden handle. “Alright… maybe I wasn’t being a hundred percent truthful…”

“Okay. Go on, then.” John urged gently.

There was a pause, then Thomas began. “So, we did fight, but there was a little more to it than just that…” His eyes drifted up and down her weapon, choosing His words carefully.
“Benedict had taken George and i below deck where you found us. We’d both gotten the upper hand for a moment, almost disarming the soldiers, but then… Benedict took control.”