Training

"Why would she possibly need Accio in the first challenge!"

Alex and James had taken it upon themselves for the past few weeks to prepare Kara for the first event in the tournament. No one knew yet what was to be expected for the first challenge, so Alex and James had been training Kara in various areas. Spells, potions, counter courses, you name it and they had forced Kara to go over it.... except for Accio.

The two had claimed that such a trivial spell wouldn't be needed in the tournament and thus had begun the battle between Gryfindoor and Ravenclaw.

"Trust me this spell could come in handy! You two are barreling her with these other fancy spells she's going to forget the basics," Winn countered back furiously.

"Hey!" Kara shouted offended.

The group was outside in the quidditch pitch which was rather empty since there were no games scheduled this week. A few students sat in the bleachers also enjoying the weather but other than that they had a huge open field to practice spells. Kara laid down in the grass exhausted from a dueling match against both James and Alex. She was exhausted, practice had gone on like this for days and Kara was no closer to having a clue what the first challenge would hold, and yet tomorrow was finally the day.

The first challenge of the Triwizard Tournament.

From Kara's position on the floor she stared up at the cloudy sky and heard Alex say beneath her breath," What is she doing here?"

James hit her lightly on the shoulder as if to be quiet but Kara had already heard and jumped up from her spot in the grass.

"Who?"

Before any of her friends could block her view she saw her in the stands like a shining light. 

Lena was here. 

In the stands amongst a few other Ravenclaws who seemed to be studying outside was none other than the breath taking Lena Luthor. Kara's heart jumped a little. It had been weeks since their breakup and neither had said anything to each other since that day. They had passed each other a few times in the halls of Hogwarts, and as much as Kara wanted to reach out to her and simply hold her close... she knew she couldn't. So Kara had put her whole attention to getting ready for the first challenge, but now here Lena was again like so long ago when they were first getting to know each other. She was in the quidditch stands watching Kara train. 

A smirk pulled at Kara's lips, remembering that time so long ago. 

Winn saw her smirk and said, "Soooo you're okay? You know with seeing her and everything?"

Kara nodded her head, " Of course I am."

James crossed his arms, "I'm impressed I honestly thought you'd go runn.."

Before he could even finish getting his sentence out Kara was dashing across the quidditch field.

"Kara!" Her sister yelled after her. 

Kara didn't care. This was an opportunity she couldn't pass. As she ran towards the stands girls clumped together blushed as Kara passed them but of course the Hufflepuffs eyes were only on one girl. That girl was acutely aware of Kara and had started to say goodbye to her group and was trying to leave the pitch. Kara was faster. 

She caught Lena just outside the stands. Here they were away from the eyes of the students in the field. It was just them. 

Lena was still walking away but Kara called out to her.

"You know you always did like watching me train."

Lena stopped dead in her tracks. She tilted her head to the side, and without looking at Kara said, "What makes you so sure I was watching you?" 

Kara could practically hear the smile on her lips.

"Because you hate sitting in the bleachers. You said it was the most uncomfortable thing on this planet and you literally admitted to only ever going through that pain for me."

For a moment Lena said nothing.

Then slowly she turned around and faced Kara. Her arms were crossed and her emerald eyes held a defiant look to them. And yet she laughed.

Both Kara and Lena laughed together.

"They really are the most uncomfortable thing you know."

For a moment they stood there quietly and then Kara smiled at her softly.

"How are you?"

Lena stiffened up and looked away, "I'm okay. I really do have to get going so."

She turned to leave but Kara caught her wrist.

"Lena wait."

Kara gently turned her so Lena was facing her. 

Lena was looking anywhere but Kara's eyes. 

Kara knew she shouldn't but she couldn't help herself with Lena being this close. There was a tightness in the air Kara couldn't explain. Just that every atom in her body was trying to get closer to Lena. 

She closed the distance between them and cupped Lena's face in her hand. Gently lifting it so that Lena was eye to eye with Kara. 

"Kara please..."

It took all of Kara's strength to not lean forward and kiss Lena as she had so many times before. Everything inside of her was begging her to, and in a weird way she felt as if Lena was fighting it as well. She looked into Lena's eyes hoping to drown in those emerald pools. There was a hunger in her eyes but also a sadness. It was the sadness that reminded Kara of their reality. 

She let go of Lena and released a breath. 

"I'm sorry, " Kara said and forced herself to walk away. Without looking back she said, "I love you Lena. I hope you know that."

With that Kara walked away. 

Today was the day of the first challenge. 

Kara had been giving a uniform to change into that distinctly reminded her of her Quidditch robes with slight adjustments. They were much more sporty and dynamic. They were arranged in her Hufflepuff colors of black and yellow and held the number seven on the back. 

There was a tangible excitement in the halls of Hogwarts that morning. Students wore colors of the champions they were routing for. Yellow for Kara, burgundy for Maggie, and blue for Samantha. 

Students could be found all over the castle talking in excited voices, some chanting their school's songs. They all headed down to the Quidditch Pitch which had supposedly been transformed for the challenge. Kara was told to stay underneath pitch in a tent with the other champions. Her sister and friends wished her good luck for a final time before heading to get their seats.  

Kara stared out the opening to the tent they were in, watching as students passed by to head to their seats. She felt a body come stand next to her, Sam. 

For a moment she said nothing as they watched a mingle of students from all three schools talking to each other and running past them for the event. 

"Do you know what the original point of the Triwizard Tournament is?"

Kara was taken back, mostly that Sam had bothered to even try talking to her. 

Kara shrugged, "To declare which school is better?"

"No. The point of the tournament is bring the schools together, make friends among one another."

Kara crossed her arms and continued to look out the tent as the groups of students became smaller and smaller, signaling the tournament was about to begin. 

"So why do I get the sense that we're enemies," Kara asked.

Samantha said in a matter of fact tone,

"Because we are."