Chapter 3 : Last Word

Staring at the window, a tiny pieces of snow fall one by one, creating a white blanket covering the ground. The winter season is here and it isn't a good sign for gardener. Some of the vegetables is dead and some of them not.

The fire also can't last any longer since we almost out of the wood. The flame only can heat us for a few minute.

Cough! Cough!

A strong coughing caught my attention. My eyes turn to a figure who was lying down in the bed. Her condition was getting worse today. Her skin more pale, having dry lips and her body was weak.

I walked toward her bed to get her permission to get a medicine or find a doctor for her.

"Mother, I'm going to find a medicine for you", I wrapped my red scarf around my neck.

"No.... Don't go.... Just be with me", She hold my wrist.

"But! You need a medicine!", I yelled.

"No... It's too late", She sighed.

"You....you.... going to die", A small tear fall from my eyes.

"I know. That's why I want you to be here", She wipe away the tears from my face.

I don't want her to die.....I don't want her to end up like my mother.....

"Liam, listen carefully", Her voice turned serious.

"What is it?", I look at her in the eye.

"Don't lost hope and keep moving forward. Choose the right path. Don't let greed eating your heart", She stroke my hair gently.

She take her necklace that wrapped around her neck and she give it to me.

"Keep this. It will keep you save no matter what. I promise and I love you, Liam", Her voice started to weak.

I hold the necklace but her hand already falling and doesn't moving at all.

"Mother...?", I move her hand several time but no response.

No....it can't be....

I checked her pulse in the neck and there's no reaction. She already lifeless in the bed. Her eyes close and her hand was cold like an ice.

A tears streamed down my face and I squeezed my eyelids shut in the hope this tears would stop. I cried quietly in the room where the flame already dead.

I don't know what to do.... Not again....

Knock! Knock! Knock!

A loud knocking wake me up from the despair. I heard a familiar voice shouted her name.

"Amelie! It's time to pay the rent! I know you there! If you don't open the door, I'm going to force it open with my others man!", The landlord warned.

No! What should I do!?

I panic when I heard the landlord was about to force open the door. I don't know what to do but my other self tell me to run away now.

I need to run!

I quickly open the window and the freezing wind blew through my body. It give me shiver down in my spine although I wore a scarf, glove and cheap coat.

I can heard the door already open and a loud footsteps coming toward the door. I jump without hesitate from the window. I fell on thick snow since it gave me a support to be a soft pillow from being injury.

"Hey! There's a kid jump out from the window! Quick, catch him!", A man shouted.

I get up and running toward the deep forest to make an escape from them. I saw a two big man chasing after me. I run as faster I can while dodging the twigs and roots of dead wood.

"Hey! Kid! Don't run!", A man yelled at me from behind.

I won't listen to you!

My feet keep running until I heard a howling wolf from different direction. I stop from running and look at the direction where the sound of howling came from.

"Oh, shit! We better stop! There's a wolf. We need to go now", I can heard what he said to his other friend.

"What about that kid?", His friend said.

"Forget about the kid. We need to leave now or we going to die!", He yelled at him.

What he meant by that?

They both stop chasing after me and instead they went back. This make me confuse but at least they stop chasing me.

My chest went up and down when I was controlling my breathing but I stop to breath when I heard a growling sound behind me. I turn around slowly and saw a huge black wolf with a red eyes growling at me.

I stunned when I saw how big the wolf is. My leg can't move at all.

Run! I need to run!

The black wolf slowly walking toward my direction. I can felt that he want to eat me while my instincts told me to run quickly before it too late.

Without hesitation, I run in different direction. The wolf started to chase me from behind. It more fast than my tiny legs.

I need to escape from this thing!

I jump and dodge a few obstacle in front of me. I also almost fell a few times until near the cliff, my leg slipped and my body roll down.

My body crashed a few twigs and bushes. I can felt an intense pain all over my body. My boots also torn apart while I was rolling down the cliff.

My body stopped rolling down and I was lying down in the blanket of snow. A few tiny pieces of snow fall one by one into my face. I can felt the burning and cold sensation at the same time. My eyes was blurry while my body was weak to get up.

I heard the howling wolf again on the cliff. I force my body to get up and the injury in my body was worse. My feet also cold from the snow.

I need to run before that wolf came back....

I walking slowly toward the tree to support myself. My body was hurt but I need to endure the pain. Every step I take, the cold of the snow make my feet freezing since I was barefoot.

The growl from the wolf was near my location. I didn't dare to look back since I know it was behind me now.

I don't want to die....

A tears stream down my face slowly while my vision starting to blurry. My breath slightly went slow as I was fell down into the snow again.

I can't move.... I'm tired.... I'm going to die...

My eyes slowly shut from my vision and that's when I heard a people voice came toward my direction. A sound of fight happening but I can't see what happened since my ear only can hear everything before I went blackout.

You think our MC going to die just like that? What's the purpose I made this story anyway if he die in the first place!

I hope this chapter doesn't make you bored.

Don't forget to like and comments too 🪄