Bad Reputation - Part One

Betty's POV

Head resting on my work desk, I try in vain not to succumb to fatigue. It is now past eleven o'clock; I would give anything to be in the arms of Morpheus right now. Alas, no need for this thought to cross my mind for more than a second.

Mathematics; literature; geography; chemistry; English and the list goes on. Despite the innumerable amount of work that has be done and the fatigue that is getting in the way, all of this is very important. Why? Because succeeding in my school year is a goal that I want to achieve hands down, but to achieve it I work intensely every evening.

That's not all, in order to graduate I need three extra-curricular activities. Cheerleading is one of them, and also the student newspaper in which I write articles twice a week. An idea grew in me for the third option to add to my schedule: start a tutoring club for new Southside students. They especially have more difficulties in various subjects, and I would be happy to help them.

Anyways, for the moment I put my things in my bag because it is impossible for me to pursue them due to fatigue; I then put on comfortable pajamas; turn off my beige bedside lamp—which goes very well with the emerald tones of the blankets on my bed, but on top of that with the so-called mineral color of my big eyes. Moreover, the latter did not take long to find sleep.

It is therefore on this Monday morning in October that I am decisive in relation to my solution of the day before: the creation of the club where I will be a tutor.

With a smile on my face, I grab an apple after going downstairs, pack all my high school stuff while biting into the juicy fruit, and finish my routine by putting appropriate clothes.

Like every day, my parents are not there; still traveled to foreign countries. So, I take care of myself without anyone's help; which suits me.

With an assured walk, I go to Riverdale High School, being accompanied by my favorite object: my headphones. Listening to good music from the 80s, I walk towards school without really caring about the potential risks around me. I'm fully in my own little world, that's what costs me the slight unfortunate and shameful event that follows.

I awkwardly ran into someone "Oh no, I'm really sorry!" I said softly laughing nervously.

After raising my head, I meet his dark and at the same time so deep gaze, of a dazzling blue that could make me pass out. "Watch where you're walking, damn"

With an unpleasant and haughty tone, this young man greatly surprised me. Obviously, the prettiest boys are the dumbest and most arrogant — just like this one. Without adding anything, I then resume my journey towards the school. My curiosity took over, so I looked behind me to see if he was following me. No, this is not the case. He walks in the opposite direction, with his back to me. It clicked in my head the moment I saw the leather jacket he was wearing. Certainly, he is from the Southside, freshly transferred to our school. It would therefore be likely that we will meet again at the club that I want to create — if this idea is approved.

"Bee!!!" yells my raven-haired best friend in the distance. I smile back at her and hug her for long seconds. I love her! "Did you hear the news? The great Jughead Jones will study here, duh!" she begins with excitement and a bright smile.

"Who?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "Elizabeth Cooper, come on! Jughead Jones, aka Serpents King, and the hottest guy in all of Riverdale! Well, it sure isn't super smart hanging out with him when you're a girl. Because he has a bad reputation for "going out" with everything that moves around him, except guys" Veronica laughs just before sighing. "in the end he ends up disappointing them all by taking out his sermon of the style I do not want a serious relationship, blah blah blah. Anyway, I know his life pretty well."

"Wow, Ronnie, are you a private investigator now?" I say laughing back. "If he really has a bad reputation, then stay away from him, you deserve better" "Yeah... but I - OH MY GOD!"

I frown and wonder seriously about the seriousness of the problem. Why is she reacting like this? Is something unusual, dangerous happening?! After turning my head, that's when I see him. Ah. It's him...!

"Wait... is he your super hot guy? He can definitely be called that, but it cancels everything when he is so disrespectful and cold" "What?" Vee asks me with a look. "I accidentally ran into him. He was irreverent to me after I apologized to him, it was irritating. Pff"
"He's like that, that's all. And by the way, you make me laugh for always using unusual words, you will never find someone as intelligent as you, Betty Cooper"

I chuckle a little, thinking about what she said... And about Jughead, if Veronica says he's like that then I have no trouble believing it. Only, I can't stand being treated like he did — even if it was a bit my fault. Back to the main topic! I say bye to my best friend who is very excited by the arrival of her King of the Serpents, then I go to the principal's office to tell him of my idea.

"Come in, Miss Cooper, please" I show a warm smile, then sit down on the chair in front of his desk. "Good morning, Mr. Weatherbee, I had a proposal for you. Since I basically need my three extra-curricular activities in order to graduate, I would love to have the chance to start a tutoring club. This would be in order to help new students, who also need good grades to pass their school year. What do you think?"

My little extemporaneous speech wasn't so bad, but slightly sloppy. I hope that will be enough to convince him and that he will be open to this new creative idea. "I don't see any disadvantages, Elizabeth. I always admire your desire to deliberately help your loved ones, it's accepted" Waldo ends with a smile on his face.
"Thank you very much, I'll take all this in hand, and recruit as many people from the Southside as possible, those who want to succeed."

I walk out of Mr. Weatherbee's office, then go to tell Veronica the good news. On my way I was so focused on my thoughts that I — again — ran into someone. Gosh, the clumsiness was created for me.

Jughead, for the second time in less than an hour! "It's a kind of flirt, isn't it? You act like you're running into me so you can talk to me, and create a conversation. That way I can be interested in you. I see right through your game, blondie" he said, winking at me with a smirk.
"W-What!? Not at all, I-I just have uncontrollable clumsiness, I'm really sorry" I don't give him much time to answer, and run to Ronnie.

This guy is really deranged, he thinks it's all about him? Pff, it's unbelievable, I'm outraged by this unpleasant interaction. "Veronica, you should have -"  "- Do not say anything! I have seen and heard it all! It's crystal clear, he's definitely got a crush on you. Well, I'm jealous but I'll get over it" laughs Ronnie. "It's official, you've gone nuts, Vee. You definitely fell on your head!? It's not because I talk to a boy for five seconds that it's love at first sight, eh, far from it! Ugh, sometimes you really annoy me!" I said it sarcastically, it was also a grain of truth.

All of this is bothering me now. The worst is that I can no longer think of anything else. It would be more obvious if this Jones wasn't a living god, did I think that? Now I'm the crazy one. "Hey blondie!" This voice makes me jump, putting a hand on my heart I catch my breath and turn to him. What does he want from me? "You dropped that" He hands me a pencil. My lucky pencil. I've been using it for all my work for five years — it's a criterium.

"Oh thank you" I smiled while getting ready to take my pencil from his hands. However, there won't be an easy one, he puts it up high to prevent me from catching it. I then cross my arms over my chest and lose my smile. What a pain in the ass. "It's okay, just kidding" he said rolling his eyes. "Alright, so will you give it back to me, please?" "Hmmm... Nope" He laughs while giving me a wink, he hits me hard on the system.

Does he think he's funny? After a few seconds of thinking, an idea comes to my mind, I smile mischievously.  "It's a kind of flirt, isn't it? You're doing this so you can talk to me, so I can get interested in you. I see through your game, Jones..." I end on a proud note.

▪︎▪︎▪︎

Hello I'll post part two when it's written! Surely in a few days! 🥰