𝚘𝚗𝚎

Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes

"If you've met her, you'll never forget her„

2:34 ───────ㅇ─ 2:48

     Maybe it was the way her eyeliner was always smudged or she never exited through her home's front door. She was a nobody to many and yet she was an enigma to Eddie Munson. Her muted palette contrasts with the bright and bold colors of the 80s, sporting only a mixture of earthy shades as if it was her personal camouflage. She was a puzzle with pieces that don't quite fit with each other. She only wore oversized long sleeves that cover her entire frame, ignoring even the hottest summer heat. All Eddie knew was he would unknowingly stop everything and stare whenever she's around. A routine that never fails on Tuesdays at 4 pm.

     She was his no-name girl— never was in the same class as hers before she was apparently homeschooled but somehow she's everywhere. For all he knows, she could be named as preppy as Brittney or as bleak as Blake. But what exactly was so interesting about her?

      One thing. She made the freak feel unseen.

     Not once did she bat an eye at him. Eddie didn't mind the attention, quite honestly, he gots lots of them from Hawkin's high school— it wasn't necessarily the good kind but it was attention nonetheless. Subconsciously, Eddie started playing his guitar a little bit too loud than usual, getting performative whenever she walks by the stone pavement. She had her own world going and a blasting playlist on loop. His riffs never quite reach her; a boulder against the soundwaves.

     It was getting agonizingly obvious. He wasn't going to deny it; band practice was moved to Tuesdays instead of Thursdays just so he could catch her stumbling out of her room's window and go to God knows what. She didn't give a shit that she was sneaking out in broad daylight.

     His bandmates weren't oblivious of his fascination, after all, they're part of the nerdiest or geekiest club in all of Hawkins.

     "Alright, Eds, what's up with you?" Gareth patted his friend on the stomach. Jeff nonchalantly shrug, taking a large swig from his water bottle, "Dude, haven't you noticed that Eddie had been eye fucking your neighbor?" Eye fucking— was that how he was coming off? Sure, he couldn't help but turn once he caught a glimpse of h/c hair or even hear a window being prod open. It wasn't romantic nor sexual in any way, it was an attraction of interest.

     She seemed to acknowledge everyone else but him. From a lost sheep freshman like Henderson to the famed Steve Harrington. She didn't scramble to fit in, she made her own clique.

     Gareth's scrunched-up face came glaringly into Eddie's eyesight, urging him to push his friend away. "I wasn't eye fucking." He hissed defensively at Jeff who innocently shot his palms up. "Eds, look, it's her!" Gareth pointed with his drumsticks but sucks to be him, Eddie knew far too well to fall for his trap.

      "You better buckle up for the next session, Garralous Gareth III." However, the threat landed flat when Gareth's mouth can only be described as a broken zipper. Can you blame him? It was hard to be a good friend when he noticed Eddie's ears perked up when the house across the road spew out a disgruntled lady; like a cat squeezing herself into the most unconventional exit. She was nonchalantly picking the leaves and twigs that got tangled in her hair from climbing out the window and onto the nearest tree. "Grow a pair, I'm calling her over." Gareth rolled his eyes before calling, "L/N, got a minute?" 

     Eddie resisted the urge to introduce his face to his palm— Gareth was surprisingly ballsy today. His misplaced confidence might've stemmed from Eddie's discomfort. It wasn't every day he find a button to push and he sure was going to abuse the hell out of it.

      Jeff shot his bandmate a disapproving look;  an embarrassed blush warming his cheeks red. He tipped his cap to cover his face while Eddie stood dumbstruck as the girl actually pulled off her headphones and acknowledged them. "You need me for something?" After a whole month of seeing her around, he finally heard her voice. It was a bit raspy and it seemed like it wasn't normally like that when she cleared her dry throat as she approached the open garage.

     "Actually my buddy here-" was eye fucking you.

    "Haven't met you yet." Eddie subtly kicked Gareth's shin before flashing her a charming smile, "Eddie Munson, and you must be?" Amusement danced in her eyes, twinkling ever so slightly, "Y/N L/N." She chirped, putting a name to her face. Jeff shyly waved from his corner like a hermit peaking out of his shell, introducing himself with a wobbly smile, "Name's Jeff if you remember me from chemistry." Y/N sheepishly nodded— she didn't really recall him since she spent the entirety of the class dozing off. Now she was homeschooled, having her teacher's undivided attention. The slightest movement could result in to slap on the wrist.

     Eddie noticed her sleeves slipped a little when she pulled her finger up to twirl the ends of her tress. The skin underneath was a bit ruddy and raw; however, it was only for a quick second as she stuffed her hand back inside her pocket once she felt the weight of Eddie's prying eyes, "So is this some kind of meet and greet or what?" She wryly joked.

    The three exchanged glances; they did just call her for nothing and that by itself was stupid. "No no, we actually wanted you to... uh give us some feedback." Eddie rambled, plucking his guitar from its stand. "On our song," Gareth trailed unsurely and Jeff affirmed, "It's a work in progress!"

     Y/N snorted, her head lolling back. 

     As if she wasn't done with surprises, she began reciting the lyrics of their chorus— not missing a single word with a dimpled smile. She wasn't much of a singer yet Eddie had to stop himself from clutching his shirt; his heart swelling almost painfully. Someone else actually sang their song and now he was feeling like a rockstar ready to turn the world inside out.

     "How do you..?" Y/N shrugged, "If you haven't noticed, I live across." She did hear him well them. He shot his bandmates a look that buzzes with excitement, the jitters bouncing on his leg. Slowly turning back to Y/N, "Yeah but to memorize the lyrics?" There was laughter in his voice as he asked her this.

     The heat rushed to her cheeks and she looked away, caught red-handed. "Now you have to tell me what you think!" He exclaimed with an exuberant tone. Y/N sighed before sheepishly confessed, "I like it." It definitely helped calmed her nerves more than she wanted to admit. Her world wasn't entirely prim and proper as it seemed, the roaring song seeped into the cracks of her room and she welcomed it wholeheartedly.

    "Don't bullshit me now." He accused, pointing the tip of his guitar at her. Y/N laughed while shaking her head, "I wasn't, it's good." Eddie was about to say more until her digital watched beeped, reminding her that she needs to go wherever she goes on Tuesdays at 4 pm. "Anyways, I have to get going." She mumbled, turning the alarm off. "Got a date?" Jeff mused to which Y/N denied, "Nah, just meeting up with a friend."

    The way she bid them with a toothy grin left Eddie seeing stars. "See you around, Munson," Gareth was about to say something but she quickly continued the last bit of her farewell, "And company." Off she went with her worn down converse, once again muffling the world with her headphones.

     Most proclaim that Tuesdays are the worst days but somehow, Eddie didn't mind it that much. She was a cloud-walker. A stormy one as well. So maybe it was about time to ditch the umbrella and join in the rain. He held onto his guitar, a stupid smile plastered on his face.

     "Gross, he's in love." Gareth gagged, receiving a gracious middle finger from the dazed banished.