V. LATE NIGHT WALKS

chapter five; the philosophers stone

1991

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

"He's still here."

It was dinnertime and Elodie and Hermione were sitting a few seats away from Harry and Ron who looked like they were having a serious conversation as Ron had a piece of steak and kidney pie halfway to his mouth, but he'd forgotten all about it.

"Oh dear," Hermione said as Elodie looked up. 

"Oh dear indeed," Elodie said as she saw Malfoy, flanked by Crabbe and Goyle approaching Harry and Ron. 

"Should we listen in?" Hermione asked as Elodie nodded and the two girls moved slightly closer and listened in. 

"Having a last meal, Potter?" they heard Malfoy say, "when are you getting the train back to the Muggles?"

"You're a lot braver now that you're back on the ground and you've got your little friends with you," said Harry coolly. 

"I'd take you on anytime on my own," said Malfoy as the two girls looked at each other. "Tonight, if you want. Wizard's duel. Wands only, no contact. What's the matter? Never heard of a wizard's duel before, I suppose?"

"Did he say wizard's duel?" Elodie mouthed as Hermione nodded.

"Of course he has," said Ron, wheeling around. "I'm his second, who's yours?"

Malfoy looked at Crabbe and Goyle, sizing them up.

"Crabbe," he said. "Midnight all right? We'll meet you in the trophy room; that's always unlocked."

When Malfoy had gone, Elodie and Hermione got up and walked over to the two boys with a slightly annoyed look on their faces.

"Excuse me," Hermione said as the two boys turned around. Ron scowled but Harry looked happy when he saw Elodie.

"Can't a person eat in peace in this place?" said Ron.

Elodie ignored him and spoke to Harry.

"We couldn't help overhearing what you and Malfoy were saying. . . ."

"Bet you could," Ron muttered. Elodie glared at him then looked at Harry.

". . . .and you mustn't go wandering around the school at night, think of the points you'll lose Gryffindor if you're caught, and you're bound to be. It's really very selfish of you."

"And it's really none of your business," said Harry.

"Good-bye," said Ron.

"Fine," Elodie said, "don't come crying to us when you get in trouble." The two girls linked arms and walked away.

"Are we going to stop them?" Hermione muttered to Elodie as they walked back to the Gryffindor common room. 

"Yep," the blue eyed girl said. 

✧ ✧ ✧ ✧ ✧

That night, Elodie and Hermione were sitting in the empty common room. A few embers were still glowing in the fireplace, turning all the armchairs into hunched black shadows. The two girls had their matching pink bathrobes on. They heard footsteps, looked up and saw Harry and Ron walking across the common room with their wands in their hands and their bathrobes on.

"I can't believe you're going to do this, Harry," Elodie said, flicking the lamp on. The two boys jumped and turned to look at the girls.

"You two!" said Ron furiously. "Go back to bed!"