To Make Her Happy

She wakes up, lifting her head and realises that she needs to carry on unpacking.

After a while, she finally finishes. She then proceeds to take a shower and get dressed and brush her teeth. She moves downstairs to eat breakfast.
"Morning. How are you feeling?" said her mom.
"Morning. Better. Relieved, actually." Elena replied. "Morning Dad."

"We're glad to hear." said David.
"We're going to head out to get some groceries. Do you want anything or want to come along?" he added.

She shook her head. "No. I think I will stay and watch a movie or something. If not, maybe I will take a drive around or jog."
"Where is Grandpa?" she added.

"With Grams. He wanted to go as early as possible to see her." said Nicole.

Elena smiles. "Am I even surprised? They are inseparable."

Her parents laughed. "Okay, well we're off. Text if you need something." her mom said.

"Ooh. Maybe ice cream and chocolate?" Elena replied with a beaming smile.

Her mom nodded and smiled. "Okay. See you later."

"Bye." Elena said.

Elena is contemplating what to do with her time. She checks in on the bakery back in Salinas.
"Are you guys coping?"
"Yeah, we're good." said Lynn.
"No problems?"
"None. Do you not trust us?"
"Of course I do. I still had to ask."
"How is your grandmother?"
"She is doing better, thanks. She tried to set me up again though. With her doctor."
"(gasps) You're kidding. I am shocked." Lynn says, sarcastically.
Elena laughs. "Anyways, I got to go. Thnaks for the update."
"No problem. See ya."
The call ends. Elena neglected to tell Lynn about her date with Neil, as she knew she would have to answer questions later.

Elena decides to take a walk around the area. She walks to a coffee shop and orders something to drink. She admires the art murals that cover the walls. This place makes her feel as if she has travelled to a place from her childhood dreams.

She leaves, coming back to reality. She makes her way back home.

Her parents are back and she takes her chocolate. "Thanks." She falls onto the bed and takes a nap.

She wakes up. She checks the time. 17:30.
"Why didn't anyone wake me up?" she thought. She was a bit mad, but kind of glad. A note was left on her bedroom door: "We are at the hospital. - Mom and Dad." Hurriedly, Elena tries to find a dress. She has a coat, but she is unsure which dress to wear. Her eyes catch one particularly pretty dress. It is a light blue knee-length dress with short sleeves. "Yes. Simple and yet elegant." she said to herself. She loosens her hair tie and brushes her hair. After looking at herself in the mirror downstairs, she realises that this might be a bit too much, but she has no time to change. She takes a deep breath and exits. She drives to the hospital.

For some odd reason, she feels nervous. She has only been on one first date before, but she doesn't remember being this nervous. Perhaps it is the fact that she is going on one with her grandmother's doctor. She shakes her head at the thought of it and focuses on driving.

She stops at the hospital and she grabs her coat and heads inside.

"Elena. We were wondering when you were going to get here." John said.

"Hi Grandpa." she said. "I would have been here earlier, if Mom and Dad had woken me up." she mumbled, upset.

"Sorry. You just seemed so tired." said Nicole.

Elena sighs. "It is fine. I am here now." "Hi, Grams. Are you feeling better" she added.

"Much better. Dr. Melendez has been taking good care of me." she replied.

"Your hair and dress. You look lovely, Elena." said Nicole, surprised.

"Are you going on a date? Cause I am sure you did not dress up just come and visit me." Kristina said.

"Thanks, Mom. And no, I am going out with a friend." Elena said, closing her coat.

"A friend?" Kristina raised her eyebrows.

Dr. Melendez knocks on the door.
"Please come in, Doctor." said David.

"Sorry. I hope I am not interrupting anything." he said.

"Not at all." said Kristina. "It is just a pity you missed your chance. She is going out with a so-called friend tonight." Neil looks at Elena and then back at Kristina. "But who knows? Maybe it ends badly and you could still have a chance." she continued.

"Grams!" Elena said, shocked.
Neil chuckled and cleared his throat. "I am just hear to check in on you before I leave. Do you need anything?" he asked.

"No. I am fine." Kristina answered.

"Well, then. I am off. Have a good night." he said to everyone in the room before leaving.

"Mom, I got to go too." Elena said.

"Okay. See you later. Enjoy yourself." she replied.

She hugged everyone before leaving.
"Have fun with your so-called friend!" said Kristina.
"Okay. Bye Grams. Love you." she replied, annoyed.

She waits outside on a bench for Dr. Melendez.

"Hey. I hope you weren't waiting too long." he said.
"Not at all." she replied. 
"Good."

They make their way to her car and he holds  her door, despite him being the passenger.
He then walks around and gets in.

"Are you sure you want to drive?" he asks, as she settles in.
"Yes." she said, starting the engine.
He nods his head, smiling at her willingness. He wanted to protest against her driving, but decided not to, as he sensed that she was quite an insistent person.  He was going to ask why she didn't want him to drive, at a later stage.
She starts driving and they head for the restaurant.