01: Haadi

June 24, 2022.

A Mazed Heart (Rifa Fathma)

Episode 01: Haadi

He carved his way towards the next market among the swarm of people who bestowed him glares and curses and he put on his repeated apologies as he shoved them through.

Outside the threshold of the market, he ceased in front of the large sliding window. He glanced through the glass and saw customers who examined the products in a hurry and scanned the tag and Aahil knew that soon enough, they would drag themselves up into another of their controversies with the salesmen.

Perks of visiting all the markets in the city within a couple of days.

He blinked back to have his reflection on the sliding window.

His brown hair, which was curly from the front, was drooping on his forehead. His weary black eyes stared back at him.

He had been going to every other market, silently hoping that his request could be accepted by any one of them but he had been failing miserably.

He seized a long breath to slip off the exhaustion and despair from the tip of his fingers and scanned his reflection once again. He shoved his hair off his forehead, ran his hands firmly down his face, shrugged off his grey Harrington Jacket, tugged the hem of his denim white T-shirt and sighed again.

He strode into the market, hopelessly hoping that his order would be accepted if he was lucky that is. Only if graduation day was not around the corner or if he had received his dumpy parcel a little early, then he couldn't have to go through this.

As soon as he stepped into the market, he felt a cool waft rushing past him and he took a moment to feel it.

He scanned the salesmen who were in green uniforms and scurried here and there as they picked the desired products voiced by the customers.

He had to ask someone who could consider accepting his order.

A salesperson caught his attention, who had on a casual yet tedious look. He was the only one who wasn't moving. He seemed to be younger than him who could have just stepped out of his university, a fresher.

The salesperson peered over, boredom itching his face. His gaze met Aahil's and Aahil was about to gesture him to come over when he abruptly looked away. He pursed his lips impatiently. After a while, the salesperson again gazed over him and found him still glancing his way.

Aahil abruptly raised his hand in the air and snapped his fingers. He saw him grumbling something under his breath and grudgingly made his way toward him.

When he came closer, Aahil leaned over and rested an arm on the white counter. "Are you accepting orders?"

"Yes-"

"I need it done within a day."

There arrives a time in the year when every other person is getting married.

Your neighbour's lads who used to ring bells at your doorsteps and run away as soon as they heard the heavy footsteps of your father approaching them, are getting married. Your classmate, who used to stand out in the class due to their mischievous and downright bravery is now, getting married.

And then comes your mother confiding you with a pointed look that Mr James's grandfather's grandson is getting married as well.

That was how it had been at that time of the month when Aahil Emaami had been rejected by every other market owner for his unique yet his does-not-make-any-sense type of order. No market was willing to make it out within two days.