𝟚

It's 5:30, every Monday morning, whenever I begin to question life. Is the Navy really the right career choice? Why did I agree to go to school at Top Gun? Is running two miles every morning absolutely necessary? No, the answer to the last question is a no. Do I do it anyways? Unfortunately, yes.

I had already rolled out of bed, due to the giant teddy bear laying on top of my head. Every morning for the past 4 weeks has been the same. Sticking with the routine, I change into a pair of running shorts and sports bra before heading into the bathroom. I make my way down the stair to check Rooks food and water and put my running shoes on. 

After tying the shoes I walk out the door and lock it behind me. I like to run on the road that runs by the beach. The first building I pass is the hard deck, the neon sign was shut off and music wasn't blasting as it usually did at night. 

It was 5:45 by the time I made it back to my house. This morning I decided a granola bar would be a good enough breakfast. I wanted to arrive at the base earlier than the normal 6:30, today everyone would be buzzing with news about a new mission. I head upstairs to change into my uniform and say one last goodbye to Rook before I leave for the day.

I have two vehicles, a black Dodge Challenger and a Harley-Davidson. Today felt like a challenger day so, I hopped in, started her up, and I was off. Twenty minutes later I pulled into a parking space next to a blue bronco and a white car. I open my door, grab my things, and shut it and lock it once I'm out. I hear the lock click to the bronco to me left and a Bradley Bradshaw walking through the vehicles in front of it. 

I smile as he looks in my direction. He smiles back and says, "Morning, Sugar. Are you here for the mission?" "Oh no, I'm actually going to school here right now. You're part of the missions team though, right?" "Yeah I am, how many weeks you got left of Top Gun?" He was now standing in front of me with his arms crossed.

" Two weeks. They've been dragging by though. I should head inside I have a few things to do before I have to report" I say "Yeah no big deal, give me a sec and I'll walk with you inside." He sends me another smile before grabbing something from inside his bronco.

"He shuts the door and locks it before turning to me. He motions me to go first and I begin weaving my way though the vehicle's. "So how long are you gonna be here for?" I ask "I'm not sure actually. I've got no information about why I'm here other than a new mission." He responds, "There calling for the best , whatever it is." 

"Trust me at this point if all the rumors were true, y'all would be dropping bombs all over the Middle East." I laugh. "I would hope that's not the case, but hey whatever I'm called to do." He finished his sentence with a fake salute. 

"We'll this has been an interesting conversation," I begin as we're walking through the doors, "k really have to go right now. I guess I'll see you later Rooster." "Alright, have a good day Sugar." He sends me a wave as we start walking down the hallway in different directions. 

I had just spent the last 10 minutes wandering around the base looking for Maverick. He was in his own office looking at what was probably the plans for the new mission. "So Mav," I start, walking in without knocking, "do ya wanna tell me why your here, or tell me about this hotshot mission? I'm sure you'll answer both of those for me though." "Ah, the second most annoying person in the navy, second to me of course. The answer to both of your questions are no." He rolls his eyes while trying to collect all of the papers so I can't see. I snatch one from the top and sit down in a chair right in front of his desk.

 It's a model of what looks like a crater with something underground in the center. He leans over the desk and takes the sheet of paper back. "You wanna tell me about it now? I've already seen part of it." "No I can't, unless k want grounded, Sugar you shouldn't be in here anyways. Don't you have  something else to do?" "Yeah yeah don't you have whatever this is to do?"I say. I get up and walk out before he can respond.

I start walking down the hallway and it's almost 6:30. We'll shit I was gonna be late. I start running down the hallway trying to make it before the second hand hit the 12. I walk into the room where pilots receive instructions for the day. Today though, instead of people buzzing around every where, everyone was sat watching something through the window looking out into one of the hangars.

I take an empty set and look out the window for the first time. Out there is Maverick lecturing what I assume the mission crew. Suddenly all of the people sitting in the hangar stand up and start walking outside. Out to do what I could only imagine.

❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥❥

It was the end of the day and I was headed out to my car when someone grabbed my arm, spinning me around to face the building I had just exited. Standing in front of me was Phoenix, what was clearly exhausted from the day's activities. 

I wasn't real sure what they had been doing all day considering I was in an airplane most of the day running drills. When I did get a glimpse at them though I would see someone doing push-ups on the tarmac. "Hey phoenix, what's wrong?" "Hey, I was wondering if I could get you number? I was thinking you should come hang out with some of us sometime."

"Oh yeah, no problem." I tell her. I grab her phone from her hand and type in the number. She thanks me and tells me she'll text me when they make plans. We say goodbye and go our ways to our vehicles. I had just unlocked my car and opened my door whenever Rooster appeared through the vehicles.

I give him a wave and a small smile which he returns. He looks just as tired as Phoenix. I begin to question what Maverick was having them do today. Did they do push-ups all day? Surely not. He walks towards me instead of the drivers side door. He leans on the top of the door and asks,

"What are you doing tonight?"