The Raging Demon

Chapter 1

It was another frigid day up in the mountains. The village of Karui had grown into a small city. The nation of Kamiru had prospered under the rule of the Ryo Dynasty. Sadly that did not mean trouble wasn't brewing.

Monstrous creatures stalked the woods at night, they had even begun raiding the farmland outside the city. Goblins and kobolds hid in the caves to the east. Rumor was a blue lung dragon had been spotted up on one of the peaks not far from town. The people feared the draconic demon spirit would come down from the mountains, bringing with it ferocious storms and raining down lightning from its ferocious maw. 

Inside the city, a petite girl wearing standard plate armor, carrying a practice sword stood outside the barracks. She was wearing a bronze breastplate, the Daisho's crest brazen across her chest.

" Yuno what did I say about wearing your armor?" Tao said as the aging man stepped outside to smoke his pipe.

The man was in his late 50s, standing about 5'9" he wore a robe and his staff supported his elder frame.

" I'm sorry I was just trying it on," Yuno said as she quickly ran inside to change.

" Stubborn girl," Tao said as he took a drag from his pipe.

Yuno walked into the barracks and quickly slipped into her small closet to not bring any attention to herself. A few moments later she stepped back outside in her simple blue kimono.

" I don't understand why I can't fight like everyone else. Have I not spent my entire life training to fight?" Yuno said as she tended to Tao's morning tea.

Tao sighed and said." Under the orders of the Daisho seventeen years ago I was told to raise and train you. The time for you to serve is almost here. Spend your time enjoying the little things before you face war and death."

Tao sipped his tea while watching the snow begin to fall. Yuno sat nearby drinking her tea. The two had made it a habit in the mornings to share a pot of tea before the day began. 

" I understand sir, but today is the day I'll be getting my sword. " Yuno said.

"That will come later on today. Right now you still have your chores to do." Tao said as he puffed his pipe slowly.

And so Yuno began her chores, after waking up and cooking for the rest of the guards. She began cleaning the barracks and daily training. The hours seemed to crawl by as she waited for the ceremony.

" Yuno it is time," Tao said as he walked toward the girl.

" Go and clean up. Dress in your ceremonial kimono, we will be heading to the palace soon."

Yuno quickly ran to the bathhouse and after a while returned wearing a black ceremonial kimono, the Daisho's crest prominently displayed on the back and sleeves. The two did not speak during their walk to the palace. Tao simply puffed his pipe as he shuffled through the city streets. They were greeted by the palace guards as they stepped into the royal courtroom. 

" Welcome, Tao it has been a while. I assume this is Yuno?" Ryo asked as he set his gaze upon Yuno.

"She is quite beautiful. Perhaps I made a mistake in assigning her as a guard." Ryo said.

" You did not make a mistake my lord. She is one of the best warriors I have trained." Tao said as the two sat at the table together speaking like old friends.

Yuno quietly poured tea for the two.

" It has been so long old friend? I see the time had not changed those old eyes of yours." Ryo said to Tao as he sipped his tea.