Eighth Month

Ross took Eleanor home the next day with explicit instructions she was to remain off her feet as much as possible and if she felt any discomfort, she was to return to the hospital immediately. Eleanor asked Ross if he was going to go to the funeral. Ross told her, that he had already said his goodbyes, and he wanted to spend the time with her. He told her he had taken a couple of days off of work. Eleanor was worried that the projects were going to fall behind. Ross reassured her that Verity was going to go in and help out so she would keep an eye on things. Also, Caroline was going to pitch in.

Joshua and Claude were going to stay at Nampara to make sure everything was running smoothly there. It was the second day she was home when Joshua and Claude showed up. Claude said, "I am taking time off I want to spend time with my sister. Joshua said, "I am going to stay here because I would be lonely without my boys at home with me. Ross snickered he knew why they were there. The Housekeeper had put the gob cake in the freezer so they could have it when Eleanor came home. Ross thought tonight would be the perfect time to give Eleanor the presents he purchased for her the day of the accident. The onesies, the luxury bath salts, the nursing dress with the matching dress for Grace, and the new nightgown for Eleanor. They were hidden in the closet but if his father and brother were here tonight would be a perfect time to give them to her. As for the cake, it would never be defrosted by tonight but tomorrow would be thawed enough to eat. Eleanor was on a strict diet but surely one piece would not hurt.

After dinner, they were all in the living room Ross was waiting for everyone to get settled. When his father told them the funeral for Elizabeth was tomorrow. He asked if Ross was going to attend. Ross informed him the same as he had Eleanor, that he had said his goodbyes already and he had more important things to do with his wife. Joshua told him he believed it was probably best that they didn't go because her mother would not let an opportunity pass to lay the blame at the Poldark's feet. Although he would like to offer Johnathan his sympathies, Joan most certainly would not appreciate it.

Claude and Eleanor walked into the room, Ross and Joshua stood, Ross, coming forward to help her prop her feet up. He said, "my love, I have a couple of things I purchased the night of the accident thinking we could surprise you. The cake I had made for that evening, I had frozen, and it is not thawed, so it will have to wait until tomorrow. I would like to give you the gifts I purchased. Do you feel up to opening some gifts?" Eleanor nodded. He gave her Grace's gifts first. The kimono gowns she said how cute they were, he said sometimes it gets cold at Nampara this way she can kick her feet all the time, and it would be like a blanket that would not come off. I do not know how they expect babies to sleep with their feet bound in those footed pajamas. Then he gave her the bath salts, telling her Caroline said she would think she died and went to heaven. Then he told her they have lots of fresh oranges to make fresh-squeezed orange juice. Then he gave her Grace's dress, Eleanor held it up and exclaimed how adorable. Then he gave her the matching one for her. "Ross, this matches the baby's," Eleanor said. Ross said, "yes and it is a nursing one at that." Ross showed her the flap to pull down when she needed to nurse.

Claude was watching intently he asked, "Will it not show her you know what's," he asked pointing to his chest? Joshua said, "that is how she will feed the baby." Claude looked horrified, "you mean she has to let the baby eat her you know what's." Ross and Joshua laughed, Eleanor said, "Claude you know only women can have babies, right?" Claude nodded. "Well, their bodies are made so that they have a way to feed the baby because they would starve otherwise." She could tell this was hard for him to contemplate. Then she thought of the animals at the farm, "Claude what is the first thing newborn cows and horses do?" Claude said, "stand." Ross, Joshua, and Eleanor laughed, "Okay the second?" He said, "they go to their mother to be fed." Claude's eyes light up, "you mean humans feed their, babies, like cows and horses?" Eleanor said, a little like that those that feed their babies are called mammals, the woman has the glands that feed their little ones?" Claude said, "well yours are not as big as the cows and horses." Ross snickered, earning a glare from Eleanor. She said, "no but my baby is not going to be as big as a colt or a calf. Humans don't stand so we have to hold them. Do you see now Claude?" Claude nodded and said, "yes you are going to feed your baby? I shouldn't stare though because that would be rude." Ross said, "although breastfeeding is perfectly natural, no you should not stare. You shouldn't look at my wife's breast at all!" Claude turned red and Eleanor said, "ross please, not helpful."