PROLOGUE

"Mom! Why? This is so unfair!" Anemone paced around furiously, frustrated as hell. Coral watched her, a serene expression on her perfect face – if not slightly irritated.

"I don't understand what you're so upset about," Coral said calmly. "That school wasn't even adequate for a young girl of your standard."

"It's the literal third high school I've been enrolled in this year," Anemone snapped. "I'm in Year 7, Mom, not kindergarten!"

Coral sighed, as if Anemone was making this all very hard for her. Like it was easy for Anemone to keep moving schools just because her mom thought every school wasn't good enough. Like it wasn't hard for Anemone to keep saying goodbyes to new friends. Like she understood Anemone at all.

"You don't get it," Coral said, ever so patiently. "We need to look after you. We've told you before, you're delicate, you need – "

"HOW AM I SO DELICATE?" Anemone demanded. "I'm not useless!"

"You cried when those kids bullied you in primary school," Coral said, matter-of-fact.

Anemone groaned. "I was nine, Mom. Nine. I'm thirteen now, and I can definitely go to high school without you freaking out every time a kid steps on my toes."

"It's not proper," Coral shouted at last. She'd lost her temper. "You need to grow up as a proper lady, Anemone, and you know it."

"Tsunami is barely what you would call a lady," Anemone huffed. She was right, of course. Her older sister, Tsunami, stayed up late every night, played netball and soccer, swam for the state junior swimming trials, had a boyfriend (Riptide), walked out of the house whenever she wanted, swore, argued back with anyone and anything and had never. Ever. Moved schools.

Tsunami, who was currently watching the heated exchange, raised a hand from the corner as she bit into a blueberry muffin. "True, true," she said, her voice muffled. Crumbs fell all over the countertop, and Coral flinched.

"I'm not making the same mistake with you that I did with Tsunami," Coral growled. "Or with Auklet either. You have to see how hard it is, being on the Council of this community and working without your father . . ."

"I don't care," Anemone said flatly. She knew she'd probably regret it later, but she was sick of being passive and following Coral's insane rules. It was time to rebel. "I want to stay at the school I am now."

"That boy Squid threw you lunch in the bin - " Coral began.

"Mom. I don't care. I want to stay at that school."

"Anemone. I need to work on my campaign. I can't deal with you right now - "

"No, you have to!" Anemone was sick of being pushed into her mother's 'Deal with later' category.

Coral rubbed her temples, and for a second Anemone thought she'd given in. But then she raised her head and asked Anemone sharply, "If I move you one last time to a school I think is fit for you, one that has a decent reputation, then you can stay there."

Anemone bit her lip reluctantly. She actually kind of liked the school she was at now. But . . . if her mother promised the last time . . .

"Okay. Hear me out. I'll move one more time," Anemone decided. "But I pick the school."

Coral's eyebrows shot up. "I really don't think that would be appropriate. I am your mother. I pick your school. End of story."

Tsunami sat up. "What if she goes to the same school I go to?"

Anemone's spirits lifted. "Yes! I can go to Jade Mountain Academy and Tsunami can watch me and everything will be perfect!"

"That school is a wreck," Coral said, irritated.

"I want to go," Anemone offered eagerly. Tsunami nudged her, as telling her to shush so she could do the talking.

"Anemone is going to Jade Mountain Academy. That's final," Tsunami told Coral. Anemone watched, rather nervously, as Coral's eyes narrowed.

"Fine," Coral said at last. "But there has to be a severe improvement in Anemone's grades. All of them. She should also not follow the path you took, Tsunami – and she isn't allowed to any parties. She can't fall in love with the first ragtag boy she sees, and you have to look after her and make sure she doesn't get hurt. Anemone will spend her lunches and recesses with you. Do you understand?"

Tsunami folded her arms. "All right, then,' she said tightly. "And Riptide is not some ragtag boy. Don't ever call him that again."

"Of course not, dear," Coral said, smiling sweetly. She picked up a stack of newspapers and walked out of the kitchen, leaving Anemone and Tsunami standing there alone.

"You're welcome," Tsunami said, unwrapping another muffin.

"I'm not sure which would be worse," Anemone said finally. Tsunami flashed her a questioning look.

"Uh. What?"

"Having to change schools every month, or you watching me constantly and still having no freedom."

"Ugh. Forget Mom. It's time to live your life a little, kid." Tsunami dusted her hands off and stuffed the wrapping in the bin. "Mom doesn't need to know everything."

"She doesn't?" Anemone said doubtfully.

"No, she definitely does not." Anemone's older sister gave her a wicked smile. "First things first – you can take the bus to school now. Like I do."

Anemone flung herself down onto the couch nearby. "Are you kidding me? The bus sucks!"

Tsunami inspected her nails with a growing grin on her face. "It's called freedom, Anemone. Get used to it."